📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I tunes cant locate any of my music. How do I fix it?

I keep my music on an external hardrive so as to not overload my laptop. Everything has been fine for months. Yesterday I tried to go to I tunes and received a message that my Itunes had been installed incorrectly. I tried re-installing but it cant locate any of my music. Please help.

dell, Windows XP

Posted on Oct 1, 2006 9:13 AM

2 replies

Oct 1, 2006 9:23 AM in response to mpons

Simple fix is (in iTunes):

File (upper left corner) -> Add Folder to library

A window will pop, where you could e.g. easily point to the drive letter of your external drive. iTunes will then scan the external drive for music to add.

I assume you don't want to (re)import music, because then it's converted (can be changed) to AAC and stored somewhere on your laptop (C:\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music).

Oct 1, 2006 3:25 PM in response to Loek Frederiks

But my playlist still shows in itunes. by adding the folder, i duplicate the songs in my playlist. when i click on the existing songs, itunes tells me that it cant find the file and asks if i'd like to locate it. I could manually locate the files for itunes but when you have thousands of songs it becomes impossible. How do i make it find the files currently showing in my playlist?

I tunes cant locate any of my music. How do I fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.