Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I tunes cant locate any of my music. How do I fix it?

I keep my music on an external hardrive so as to not overload my laptop. Everything has been fine for months. Yesterday I tried to go to I tunes and received a message that my Itunes had been installed incorrectly. I tried re-installing but it cant locate any of my music. Please help.

dell, Windows XP

Posted on Oct 1, 2006 9:13 AM

2 replies

Oct 1, 2006 9:23 AM in response to mpons

Simple fix is (in iTunes):

File (upper left corner) -> Add Folder to library

A window will pop, where you could e.g. easily point to the drive letter of your external drive. iTunes will then scan the external drive for music to add.

I assume you don't want to (re)import music, because then it's converted (can be changed) to AAC and stored somewhere on your laptop (C:\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music).

Oct 1, 2006 3:25 PM in response to Loek Frederiks

But my playlist still shows in itunes. by adding the folder, i duplicate the songs in my playlist. when i click on the existing songs, itunes tells me that it cant find the file and asks if i'd like to locate it. I could manually locate the files for itunes but when you have thousands of songs it becomes impossible. How do i make it find the files currently showing in my playlist?

I tunes cant locate any of my music. How do I fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.