Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calling seriosuly technical experts! Unwanted ghost .apversion file

Hi

I have a ghost .apversion file that I just cannot delete. I have tried everything including terminal commands. Even tried as root admin booting up in safe mode so it isn't anything to do with permission etc.

What happened...? I had copied my iPhoto library as a back-up to another part of my hard drive but now don't need it. I deleted the back-up onyl for this one dastardly file to sit there ghosting around. It's a unix ecec file that I has corrupted. When I click "get info" it doesn't show up as a unix ecec file (in fact File type is missing and More info is hanging. On normal .apversion files this doesn't happen.

Any help to nuke this file without having to do a disk erase would be much appreciated.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 4, 2014 7:36 AM

1 reply

Dec 4, 2014 11:01 AM in response to 0wa1n

Start up in Recovery mode, launch Disk Utility, select the startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name), and run Repair Disk (not Repair Permissions.) If any problems are found, repeat. Then restart as usual.

If you don't already have a current backup, you must back up your data before you take the above step. You may be able to back up, even if the system isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

Directory corruption in a MacOS journaled volume is always the result of a drive malfunction. It's not caused by power failures, system crashes, or anything else. You might choose to tolerate such a malfunction once in the life of a drive. If it's repeated, the drive must be replaced, or there is some other hardware fault that needs to be corrected. Ignoring repeated directory errors will result in data loss.

Calling seriosuly technical experts! Unwanted ghost .apversion file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.