Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini not working properly with Asus PB278Q via thunderbolt/display port

Hi. I've been having nothing but problems with my new Mac mini 2014. When I tried to connect it via a thunderbolt to displayPort connector I couldn't get a signal (monitor is an Asus PB278Q, which always worked flawlessly under all windows versions). I got it working using a HDMI cable instead. It worked fine for a week, then had problems with it booting, but not outputting a signal. After trying everything, I eventually got it working again with a PRAM reset. I also found, after some tinkering, that the thunderbolt cable worked if the mini was connected to ANOTHER monitor via HDMI!! So, after finding that this cable DOES work, I've been trying to get the mini working with just the thunderbolt/displayPort cable.

When I boot the mini, no displayPort signal is detected. If I boot with a PRAM reset (option/command/P/R), it works without any problems. However, when it reboots, again no signal! Pressing the keyboard and magic mouse does nothing. Any ideas how to fix this?

Have to say, I'm finding this very frustrating. The reason I brought a Mac in the first place, was because I was SICK of Windows 8.1 issues. And yet I find that something incredibly BASIC, like getting a modern monitor to work with a mini is an EPIC task, judging by the other issues I've seen on here :-(

Posted on Dec 5, 2014 6:34 AM

6 replies

Dec 5, 2014 9:13 AM in response to lllaass

As I mentioned in the original post, it is BY using a PRAM reset that I can get the thunderbolt/displayPort cable to the monitor to work at all. Obviously there is something different in this boot sequence that detects and sets up the monitor correctly - but then for some reason, after a cold boot, it no longer works. Given that this issue was present straight-out-the-box, and I don't have any of the issues mentioned under the SMC reset guide, I doubt if doing an SMC reset will achieve anything, though I might give it a try if nothing else works, though I'm more worried about it causing new issues!

Calling Apple and speaking to someone in a call-centre for an hour or two is something I'm trying to avoid by posting on here, especially given that I've mostly found these to be a waste of time in the past :-)

Feb 24, 2015 11:43 AM in response to RealMagicBeast

Despite updating to Yosemite 10.10.2, my mac mini *STILL* won't show the login screen with a normal boot. I've even brought another mini-display port to displayport cable, but this has the same issue. If I enter the login on my keyboard, after a normal boot, it does log in, and then display a picture and work normally. Also, if I boot in PRAM reset mode, it DOES display the login screen. But, despite trying booting in SAFE mode, which also works, trying NVRAM resets, OS reinstalls, changing the cable, and everything else I can think of - it STILL won't display the login screen in normal boot mode!!! Anybody have any ideas how to fix this please!!! It's driving me NUTS! Especially as I've had no problems whatsoever, when using the mac, when I do get in!!!!! Display resolution is 2560x1440, and both cables manufacturers claim they should work fine with Thunderbolt 2.

Feb 24, 2015 12:01 PM in response to RealMagicBeast

Within the complementary or AppleCare coverage duration, you have certain options

to have the computer undergo diagnostic testing and repairs should they be indicated.

A call center may be fine to talk about the weather, but you should ask to find out

when and where you may take the computer for diagnostic testing to determine

what components may be responsible for this situation; if any related to the Mini.

If you have other displays to test, other than the Asus, that may be helpful to do so

but the Apple service provider can run tests you have no access to perform. Yet

even if they find nothing wrong with the unit after testing (be sure they understand

the question, on what the need is based) that may be an answer as well. And they

usually will not check any non-Apple products, so further troubleshooting after they

inspect test diagnose your Mini, is up to you. Then, check w/ different display?

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Mac Mini not working properly with Asus PB278Q via thunderbolt/display port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.