Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive shows 'Encrypted Folder' and 'Encrypted File' instead of correct folder and files names

I have 3 IOS devices connected to iCloud Drive, all at 8.1.1 and all using the same apple ID. Under settings->iCloud->Storage->Manage Storage->Other Documents & 'Documents To Go' 2 of the devices (iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2) list the folder and document names. The 3rd device (iPhone 4s) just shows a list of 'Encrypted Folder' and 'Encrypted File' and not the correct folder and files names that the other two devices show. All the settings appear identical.I have erased all settings from the iPhone 4s and set it up from scratch.

Thanks in advance

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Dec 5, 2014 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2014 1:31 PM

From what I can tell from looking at this myself. "Encrypted Files" and "Encrypted Folders" are files and folders that are stored in iCloud Drive which have never been downloaded locally.

For example, I just saved 3 PDFs in the Documents app on my Iphone to iCloud Drive. On my iPhone, when I looked at the Managed Storage for PDF Expert, which is written by the same App developers, they show their names. On my iPad they showed up as "Encrypted File", until I actuallly opened the Documents app and they downloaded. After that, they showed the correct name in Managed Storage. Another App I have installed only on my iPad shows the files names on the iPad and "Encrypted ..." on my iPhone.

Basically for devices that never had the App in question installed or the App hasn't been opened since the files were uploaded, the files uploaded to iCloud Drive will show as encrypted. This isn't a problem, it just means that the device hasn't decrypted the files. This is actually a good sign as it means your files are encrypted in the cloud.

Edit: I do noticed for some apps, that some files always show "Encrypted". My guess is that they are left over from the pre-iCloud Drive transition and aren't actually being used since the app works fine without them and when I delete them and re-run the app, they aren't recreated.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2014 1:31 PM in response to Mr TAB

From what I can tell from looking at this myself. "Encrypted Files" and "Encrypted Folders" are files and folders that are stored in iCloud Drive which have never been downloaded locally.

For example, I just saved 3 PDFs in the Documents app on my Iphone to iCloud Drive. On my iPhone, when I looked at the Managed Storage for PDF Expert, which is written by the same App developers, they show their names. On my iPad they showed up as "Encrypted File", until I actuallly opened the Documents app and they downloaded. After that, they showed the correct name in Managed Storage. Another App I have installed only on my iPad shows the files names on the iPad and "Encrypted ..." on my iPhone.

Basically for devices that never had the App in question installed or the App hasn't been opened since the files were uploaded, the files uploaded to iCloud Drive will show as encrypted. This isn't a problem, it just means that the device hasn't decrypted the files. This is actually a good sign as it means your files are encrypted in the cloud.

Edit: I do noticed for some apps, that some files always show "Encrypted". My guess is that they are left over from the pre-iCloud Drive transition and aren't actually being used since the app works fine without them and when I delete them and re-run the app, they aren't recreated.

iCloud Drive shows 'Encrypted Folder' and 'Encrypted File' instead of correct folder and files names

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.