Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pdf = application from unidentified developer?

Here's the situation:

I have Mac OS X 10.10.1

I have the Gatekeeper set to only open applications from the App Store and from identified developers.

Preview is my default application for opening pdf-files.

I have downloaded some pdf's which I want to open in another app, (PDFpen, Safari, ...)

(By double clicking on these files they open in Preview without any problems).

I then select the files and use the Finders Show Inspector (or Get Info)-command to change the "Open with"-app to PDFpen (or Safari or...)

When I then double click on one of the pdf-files I get a warning message: "filename.pdf" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. (See attached image).

I then right-click on the file and choose Open With (PDFpen, Safari, ...), and get a new warning message, but now with an option to open the file, which I then do.

After opening the file just once, there is no more problems, I can open the file by double clicking, and it opens in the app I have chosen for that file. BUT this only applies to that particular file. Each separate pdf-file requires the same procedure...

I have seen the same problem on 3 different mac's running Yosemite.

If I export a Pages- or Numbers-document, the created pdf-file behaves in the save manner, but a pdf created by export from MS Word (ver 14.2.5) can be opened in any desired application by double-clicking.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 5, 2014 8:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2017 4:17 PM

I just figured it out!!!!

Right click on the file;

"Get Info;"

Scroll to "open with;"

Drop down menu to choose the app.

I changed from Preview to PDF Pen. Working without issue now.

10 replies

Jun 10, 2017 6:17 AM in response to scalia4114

This sorted the problem that I was having:

I installed Adobe Acrobat Pro for Mac, which led to pdf files being opened by default by this new program. I wanted to change that back to Preview, so I right clicked a pdf file and selected open with and then other..., but I was then getting the first error message shown by the OP. I did what scalia4114 said to do and it fixed the problem and I no longer get those error messages, which were preventing me from opening pdf files with Preview.

Aug 10, 2017 10:03 AM in response to tttomat19

If you go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General where the "Allow apps downloaded from" setting is at, it will show when an app was blocked from opening a document and it gives you the OP's error.

From that setting, you can click "Allow Anyway" to solve this problem. Nothing else needs to be done than that.

Another workaround is to simply open the document from within the application, but that's a pain.

And, a reply like "Apple is the worst in everything" is simply NOT helpful to anyone. I'm sitting here trying to deal with this simple little problem while my Windows 10 PC has spent over 20 minutes trying to log in after an update, making Microsoft and Windows 10 the "worst in everything" since it's unusable. However, that kind of thinking doesn't solve either problem.

Apr 17, 2016 6:59 PM in response to T0pp3rH4rl3y

This could also have been done by visiting the Security & Privacy System Preference. However, while this fixed the issue on a document by document basis, you will have to do this for every PDF you want to open permanently with a non-default app. It is as if OS X is treating each file as an app in its own right and is not particularly convenient. In my case I want PDF Expert to be the app that opens some of my files (mainly to preserve annotation formatting - yes folks, it's not universal) while keeping preview.app as the default. OS X can see that the PDF was created by PDF Expert and exactly when, so does anyone know if there is a way to set yourself up as the developer within the PDF application of choice so that OS X knows its you that created the file?

pdf = application from unidentified developer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.