Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

printing problems. job pending on printer but unable to send data.

my printer is not printing like it should. on my que it says, job pending on server. ready on server, and unable to send print data.

Posted on Dec 5, 2014 10:20 AM

6 replies

Dec 6, 2014 9:43 AM in response to asiabelle

Did your printer work as expected before and this just started happening? Did you make any changes, i.e., update printer firmware, update printer driver on the computer, etc.? Is this printer connected directly to your computer or is it on the network?

What is the brand and exact model of your printer? What is the brand and model of your computer? What operating system and version is it running? If the printer is connected on the network, what are the brand(s) and model(s) of your networking hardware? (routers, modem, etc.)

Dec 7, 2014 1:48 PM in response to asiabelle

Ok, I see that you have a Brother printer that has built-in wireless network capability. Is this printer connected directly to any network client or is it connected to the wireless network? I am assuming that it is the latter. Has this printer ever worked before?

I also understand that you have the AirPort Extreme base station connected directly to a D-Link DCM 202 Internet modem. Which exact model of the Extreme do you have? Do you have the Extreme configured to provide a wireless network? Is the printer connected to this network? That is, did you use the printer's administrator interface to have it join the wireless network provided by the Extreme?

What is the make & model of you laptop? What operating system & version is it running?

Dec 8, 2014 3:32 PM in response to Tesserax

. The Brother printer is connected to the Mac Book Pro 8.1 using OS 10.9.5 on the wireless network created by the Airport Extreme Base Station 802.11n (5th Generation) Version 7.6.4. The printer has been using this network successfully until last week. The printer is also connected to an iMac via an ethernet cable and continues to function properly.

From System Information on my Mac Book Pro:

Brother HL-2170W series @ Mitch’s Computer:

Print Server:Remote

Default:Yes

URI:dnssd://Brother%20HL-2170W%20series%20%40%20Mitch%E2%80%99s%20Computer._ipp._tcp .local./

PPD:Brother HL-2170W series CUPS

the words that show up on the que for printing says "ready on server unable to send printer data"

Dec 9, 2014 1:33 PM in response to asiabelle

Do any other network client have any issues printing to this printer when connected by wireless? If so, then I would recommend resetting the printer back to its factory default configuration. There should be an option in the printer's administrator panel to do so. Then, reconnect the printer to the Wi-Fi network provided by the Extreme. Finally try printing from the iMac using a wireless connection between the iMac and the Extreme.

May 21, 2015 2:57 PM in response to asiabelle

Here is the workaround.

Step One:

If you have the money, buy a new laser printer - NOT HP !!!!

Step Two:

If you don't have the $:

First, install the new driver. (go to the Apple in the top right hand corner/ software update/ if you look close you will see the update in the list. )

Documents will now print intermittently. Make sure you have toner. (Is it low/empty?)

Now when it does not print, clear the cache with the X button on the printer. Turn the printer off/on. Clear the document que in systems preference. Even unplugging and plugging in the usb cable helps sometimes. Print the document - go to the que - press resume. Voila? (no?)

If this does not work think hard about the value of your time and give Step One a try.

printing problems. job pending on printer but unable to send data.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.