Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to change admin apple ID on laptop

how do i change the Admin apple ID on my Mac Air?

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 5, 2014 11:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2014 11:11 AM

An Apple ID on the computer is only entered in the iCloud preferences panel. But there is no specific thing as an "admin" Apple ID, but there is an admin password and username.

10 replies

Dec 5, 2014 11:45 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy - thanks

Last night fired up my new Air and set it up using my apple ID ive had for my iphone. well..................... turns out then of course if loaded up all the stuff on my phone which was contacts and safari bookmarks - TG i didnt have photos to stream -

so here is the issue. my wife instead wanted me to have set it up using our joint home apple ID we have used on our old desk top.

so i went to settings and basically set up what appears to be a GUEST acct. now using our joint apple ID but on the start up screen it shows MY apple ID as " ADMIN" and the one i really only want as GUEST. How can i reset the ADMIN apple ID ?

adn then delete the labeled guest? by having those two apple ID's i believe will cause nothing but agravation adn confusion.

sorry for this jumbled query.

Mark

Dec 5, 2014 11:58 AM in response to markfrom. amherst

Boy, you sure figured out how to mess that thing up. 😁 I would suggest, since it's new, that you just erase the drive and start over because at this point there isn't that much to lose. But before you go on it's important if you each have an iPhone of your own because you will need to set up two user accounts - one for you and one for your wife. Later, below, I will provide some helpful information on how to use two iDevices on one computer.

So, let's get to restoring the computer to its default state. I recommend this over trying to locate and change all the things you have configured. But if you would rather, then locate all the areas you configured - iTunes, Mail, user accounts, etc. Delete the Guest account you made.

Install OS X Using Internet Recovery

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Internet Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  2. After DU loads select your newly installed hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
  3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should restore the version of OS X originally pre-installed on the computer. That is what you want. The above process is going to take a while since it requires downloading a 5 GB file for installing OS X. Be patient.

Dec 5, 2014 11:58 AM in response to markfrom. amherst

Using More than One iDevice on the Same Computer

This applies mainly to couples who are adding another device and do not want their email, messages, etc. being duplicated on both devices. To begin read: How to use multiple iPhone, iPad, or iPod devices with one computer. You need to establish a separate Apple ID and password for whomever will use the new iDevice. See Apple - My Apple ID and Frequently asked questions about Apple ID. The easiest way is to do this on the computer using iTunes: iTunes- How to set up an Apple ID within iTunes.

On the computer create a new user account for the person with the new iDevice. This will be the user account that person will always use. He/She will no longer use the other user account. This way that person will have a separate iTunes Library. Note that once done you cannot "share" apps under a single Apple ID. Each of you must purchase your own apps under your own Apple ID. When you decide to split up like this one of you will need to re-purchase the apps that they want to use.

Start by transferring the new device(s) to a new account along with all your data. Save any photo stream photos that you want to keep to your camera roll (unless they are already in the camera roll) by opening your Photos app, tap on Albums icon at the bottom. Now, tap on My Photo Stream album; tap Select; tap on the photos you want to select;, tap the share icon (box with upward facing arrow) in the lower left corner; then tap Save to Camera Roll.

If you are syncing notes with iCloud that you want to keep then you need to open each of your notes and email them to yourself. Later you can copy and paste the text into new notes created in your new account.

Tap on Settings > iCloud > Delete Account (only deletes it from this device, not from iCloud; the person keeping the current account will not be affected,) provide the password to turn off Find My Phone and choose Keep on My iDevice when prompted. Sign in with a different Apple ID to create your new account. Choose Merge to upload your data.

Once you are on separate accounts, you can each go to icloud.com and delete the other person's data from your account.

Note: The essence of the above was created by user, randers4. I

have made substantial changes to improve readability and syntax.

Dec 6, 2014 12:13 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks to all for helping me out. Ok I'm going to 'reset' my original question as your suggestions to go into the settings and what, me seems to be a major major undertaking 😟 I'll pause here and regroup .

i have not set any other thing up in this new laptop.

Up to this point I basically had set up a new Apple ID that my wife and I would use --- 'Mark and Mary 'would use jointly to use the laptop ( yeah after 40 years together we even have a joint savings and checking acct!!)

each of of us have individual Apple ID for each of our iPhones but have never streamed pics nor purchased apps. That I need to worry about Only freebies !

so what mistake I made and would like to correct is this: when I did the initial set up of the laptop a used MY PERSONAL APPLE ID and PW.

so naturally all my stuff on my phone started to download to the laptop. OH OH . So I wish to reset the user login to our new ( joint) Apple ID. And start fresh.

right now when it boots up it lists my personal ID as ADMIN.

iif I follow your advice your advice to change the password to our new joint acct PW under settings-( which I had put in my INDIVIDUAL ID AND PW by mistake ) for what I'll still refer to as ADMIN). will this essentially reset the admin info and I can then delete the guest one. ?

see above.

sorry and THANKYOU for holding my hand in this whole mess which by now you all must be thinking " what is so hard about computers"?

mark

Dec 6, 2014 12:27 PM in response to markfrom. amherst

I'll reiterate. If you and your wife want to use the same computer but have separate iDevices, then you need to each have separate Apple IDs and the computer needs to be set up with two user accounts - one for you and one for your wife. Since you already have one you need to create a new one for you wife to use with her Apple ID. If you don't have two Apple IDs, then each of you will end up with your mail, photos, contacts, etc. duplicated on each one's device. If that's OK with both of you, then you can stick to using one computer account and one iTunes Library and one Apple ID. If you make a new "joint" Apple ID then everything must be changed to use this new Apple ID. All your purchased items, however, are permanently tied to your current Apple ID and cannot be transferred to a new one. You will have to re-purchase everything under the new Apple ID.

Now, if you still want to use one joint Apple ID that is "new" then you will need to log out of the old Apple ID on all your devices, then log in with the new Apple ID. On the computer you need log out of iTunes then log into iTunes using the new Apple ID and setup a new account. This will also result in a new and different iTunes Library.

Dec 6, 2014 1:21 PM in response to Kappy

TThanks I'm prob making this way to hard on myself. And you

ill go reread all your advice.

we each have our own ID and email for our iPhones. We have downloaded a few free apps to our own phone only.we don't share contact lists , or email

tthey will stay separate .

guess I THOUGHT I could then set up the laptop with its own new ID for us to use jointly only using that ID and not tied at this point in any way to our devices

bbasically a third separate device. We have a joint family email address we have used over the years on the desktop .

If we Wanted apps on that I could then use the laptop user name to down load anything just too just to the laptop.

thanks again

how to change admin apple ID on laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.