Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where are message sounds stored?

I want to use a different sound when messages are rec'd. Can I add a sound file to wherever the app stores its sounds and then select it through preferences?

TIA,

David

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), 16Gb RAM, 500 SSD

Posted on Dec 5, 2014 5:00 PM

8 replies

Dec 7, 2014 1:11 PM in response to drschwartz

Hi,

System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ToneLibrary.framework/Versions/A/Resources

This folder contains both the Alert folder and Ringtones you see in the Messages app.

User uploaded file

9:11 PM Sunday; December 7, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Dec 7, 2014 1:16 PM in response to drschwartz

Note that adding tones to the Resources folder in ToneLibrary is not sufficient to have the tones you add populate in the list. You also need to edit a .plist file. Also, if you're talking about changing the default tone which you are not allowed to customize, you will need to go to Messages, right click, Show Package Contents, find the ringtone file and replace it. Both procedures are outlined in: Yosemite: Adding Ringtones and Alert Tones.

(Note that I am affiliated with that site, and some pages contain ads).

Dec 8, 2014 12:30 PM in response to drschwartz

Addition.

I have used GarageBand for cutting down longer items to make ringtones.

Flip4Mac allows you to play some sounds not normally played by Quicktime.

Quicktime itself has several Export options that might work.

History.

In the past iChat and versions of Messages up to an including Messages 8 in Mavericks listed some Sounds from Inside the App (In Application right click the app icon and then Show Package Contents and then navigate to resources)

Also in the drop down the change the sound were the System Alerts sounds.

Messages 7 and earlier also saw the ~/Library/Sounds folder.

Yosemite, which still calls the app Version 8, despite the significant changes, has totally changed the Sounds used in the app.

The ones within the app still, apply to the sound given to all the other actions, Buddy's coming On and going Off Line in Buddy Lists, the 'swoosh" like sound for Sending Messages and the like.

Now.

It does seem strange that Apple have two Sounds in different places (app and the Folder in the pic) in different formats that sound the same and essentially the same name.

Having said that neither appear in the list of sounds that can be played by the app for this particular function.

User uploaded file

8:30 pm Monday; December 8, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

where are message sounds stored?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.