Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto library is gone after upgrading to Yosemite

After upgrading to OS X Yosemite, I cannot access my iPhoto library. It tried to update and repair permissions, but never completed. Now my library is empty.

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), OS X Yosemite

Posted on Dec 5, 2014 7:07 PM

8 replies

Dec 5, 2014 7:34 PM in response to keiraarm

These are your options:

1. Restore the iPhoto library from the most recent backup that predates the issue.

Advantages: Always works, if library damage is causing the problem and the backup is intact.

Disadvantages: Impossible if you don't have a backup. All changes made since the backup are lost.

2. Repair or rebuild the library. Be sure to back it up first.

Advantages: May solve the problem with no loss of data.

Disadvantages: May fail. May take a long time if the library is large.

3. Scavenge the library with a third-party application called "iPhoto Library Manager," which you can find in a web search. From the application's menu bar (not the iPhoto menu bar), select Library Rebuild.

Advantages: All images and albums should be preserved.

Disadvantages: All books, calendars, and slideshows will be lost.

Dec 6, 2014 7:47 AM in response to keiraarm

Hold down the option and command keys and double click on the iPhoto library - keep the keys held down until the first aid window appears - repair permissions, if needed repair your database and if still needed rebuild your database

If that does not work then use iPhoto Library Manager - http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/ - to rebuild he library which creates attally new library leaving the existing one untouched - no-sharable items like slideshows, projects will not be carried into the new library

LN

iPhoto library is gone after upgrading to Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.