Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use ATT Iphone 6 on Verizon?

I'm considering using my upgrade from work to give my wife a new iPhone 6 because she is off cycle. She has Verizon, I have ATT. I've read that you can take the Verizon iPhone 6 and use it on ATT even during the contract period but can I buy a iPhone 6 from ATT and just pop the Verizon sim in and good to go? Don't really care if it doesn't get the best LTE speeds or whatever, just that it works and works at some speed 3G equivalent or better.

Thanks

Posted on Dec 5, 2014 6:19 PM

9 replies

Dec 5, 2014 7:29 PM in response to garrettc134

garrettc134 wrote:

I'm considering using my upgrade from work to give my wife a new iPhone 6 because she is off cycle. She has Verizon, I have ATT. I've read that you can take the Verizon iPhone 6 and use it on ATT even during the contract period but can I buy a iPhone 6 from ATT and just pop the Verizon sim in and good to go?

No. Verizon will not activate a phone not purchased for Verizon's network. The CDMA side of the phone does not use a SIM; the phone's MEID must be registered on Verizon's network for the phone to be activated, and they will only register Verizon-targeted phones.

Mar 28, 2015 8:29 PM in response to garrettc134

Yes, you should be able to. I asked Verizon Wireless on twitter and they said yes I could bring my T-Mobile iPhone 6 over to them. What you will lose though, is CDMA. If you aren't in a Verizon LTE zone, you won't be able to make any calls. Not sure if this matters anymore though because I heard their LTE coverage has been rolled out to all areas where they had CDMA coverage.

Mar 29, 2015 8:07 AM in response to OneLoveAmaru

OneLoveAmaru wrote:

Yes, you should be able to. I asked Verizon Wireless on twitter and they said yes I could bring my T-Mobile iPhone 6 over to them. What you will lose though, is CDMA. If you aren't in a Verizon LTE zone, you won't be able to make any calls. Not sure if this matters anymore though because I heard their LTE coverage has been rolled out to all areas where they had CDMA coverage.

It is theoretically possible. However, you have to have a Verizon phone to activate the SIM card on first. Also, features such as Visual Voicemail don't work.

Mar 29, 2015 8:45 AM in response to garrettc134

garrettc134, I have confirmed with Verizon Wireless that any phone that supports VoLTE and their LTE bands on their network, can in fact come from any source.

The reason for this is because when Verizon Wireless bought the 700 MHz spectrum, they had to agree to what is called Open Access, meaning they can't restrict what phones or devices can be on it.

Only downside, you just won't have CDMA to fall back on.

The phone will act completely normal, including visual voicemail.

Check out this article: http://protechcity.com/verizons-volte-rollout-will-murder-cdma-permit-opened-lte -telephones/

And a twitter user asking the exact question you are asking about to Verizon Wireless Support:

User uploaded file

Use ATT Iphone 6 on Verizon?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.