Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to manually add pdf files to iBook using iTunes 12

I manually manage my videos and music. I don't want to sync. However, when I try to add books to my iPhone using iTunes 12, the only option I have is to sync and then an iTunes window opens up and says that I will lose all of my music and videos on my iPhone if I sync. I don't mind syncing my iBooks, but I don't want to be forced to sync my music and videos as well.

There is no book tab in iTunes 12.

Does anyone know of another way to add iBooks to an iPhone and iPad manually.

There is no option in the iBooks application to add books to an iPhone or iPad that I can find.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 6, 2014 10:45 AM

8 replies

Jan 16, 2015 11:50 AM in response to nyetowl

I finally found a work around that is not too excessively cumbersome (although certainly not anywhere as efficient or satisfactory as the old method of drop and drag directly through iTunes!!!!) that worked for me. I was really disappointed to see that the tech sites and other responders on numerous sites and threads either don't respond to the MANUALLY manage aspect (if I wanted to "sync" I wouldn't have been looking for answers, and I wouldn't have lost all my music, etc. "syncing" after being forced to "manually manage music, etc." due to a weird bug with all the updates) or refer to transferring a file or two.

First, I have a large collection of PDFs in iBooks that I save to iBooks on my iPad. I am able to transfer the PDFs to my iBooks on my MAC, by selecting "File" in iTunes (with iPad connected) --> Devices --> Transfer Purchases from "xyz" iPad. The files then download into my iBooks. (FYI: I do have "Sync Collections" enabled under iBooks in Settings on my devices -- I don't know if this is critical, but I think so).

To transfer from my MAC to my iPhone: Opened iTunes with IOS device attached. Opened iBooks on my MAC. Opened "Documents" on my MAC. Opened each of my collections individually and then Selected All (Open Apple, I think "Command?" + A) of the PDFs and then dragged them to my Documents. Re- Selected All of the PDF files from Documents and dragged onto my iPhone under Devices in the left hand tab of iTunes and they added to the correct Collection in iBooks (I did sync the phone beforehand, and I did see that the Collection tabs were in iBooks, but of course empty of documents before I did the drop & drag).

Hope this works for you!

Amazing that Apple doesn't re-add the Books tab to iTunes????!!!!?????

Jan 16, 2015 11:51 AM in response to Edwin Hurwitz

I finally found a work around that is not too excessively cumbersome (although certainly not anywhere as efficient or satisfactory as the old method of drop and drag directly through iTunes!!!!) that worked for me. I was really disappointed to see that the tech sites and other responders on numerous sites and threads either don't respond to the MANUALLY manage aspect (if I wanted to "sync" I wouldn't have been looking for answers, and I wouldn't have lost all my music, etc. "syncing" after being forced to "manually manage music, etc." due to a weird bug with all the updates) or refer to transferring a file or two.

First, I have a large collection of PDFs in iBooks that I save to iBooks on my iPad. I am able to transfer the PDFs to my iBooks on my MAC, by selecting "File" in iTunes (with iPad connected) --> Devices --> Transfer Purchases from "xyz" iPad. The files then download into my iBooks. (FYI: I do have "Sync Collections" enabled under iBooks in Settings on my devices -- I don't know if this is critical, but I think so).

To transfer from my MAC to my iPhone: Opened iTunes with IOS device attached. Opened iBooks on my MAC. Opened "Documents" on my MAC. Opened each of my collections individually and then Selected All (Open Apple, I think "Command?" + A) of the PDFs and then dragged them to my Documents. Re- Selected All of the PDF files from Documents and dragged onto my iPhone under Devices in the left hand tab of iTunes and they added to the correct Collection in iBooks (I did sync the phone beforehand, and I did see that the Collection tabs were in iBooks, but of course empty of documents before I did the drop & drag).

Hope this works for you!

Amazing that Apple doesn't re-add the Books tab to iTunes????!!!!?????

Mar 19, 2015 8:03 PM in response to nyetowl

There is no way that you don't sync your music or videos while you sync books. That is how iTunes works.

Sometimes, I find it truly troublesome. So I want to find another way out. After surfing the internet, I found a post that introduces three very easy ways to add PDF to iBooks.

If you are also interested, check it here.

Hope It is helpful for you!🙂

Oct 17, 2015 9:01 PM in response to nyetowl

First make sure the books and PDFs you want to transfer from your mac have been loaded into the OS X iBooks library. That is, when you open OS X iBooks they appear there.

Connect your iDevice and open iTunes.

From within iTunes click the icon representing your device located in the upper left of the iTunes main window.

A list of media types should appear within the left hand pane and should be broken into two main categories. Select Books from the ON MY DEVICE category.

The right pane should contain the books you already have on your device, if any.

Above the columns to the right should be a gray button with darker letters that says, "Edit Playlist". Click the "Edit Playlist" button.

A new view should appear. To the left should be the books from your OS X iBooks library. To the right should be a list of the books already on your device below a picture of your device. Select the books you want to manually move from the left pane and drag them to the right side.

Wait for the transfer to complete and then click the Done button at the bottom right.

How to manually add pdf files to iBook using iTunes 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.