Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad air 2 backlight bleeding experience

HI all,

would you mind posting a picture of your ipad air 2 screen with a black background in order to check how severe my backlight bleeding (refer to attached picture done at 100% brightness in a dark room) is with respect to other / yours. I could enter the infernal loop of exchanges with apple and with the risk of having one worse or with other issues ==> I prefer to have yourkind feedback beforehand.

Thanks a lot for your kind support and help.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10), 2.6Ghz - 1TB

Posted on Dec 6, 2014 12:43 PM

7 replies

Dec 8, 2014 12:09 PM in response to califfo1975

I don't think that is anything unusual for a backlit TFT/LCD as this one:User uploaded file

Just a quick screenshot of my iPad 3 using the iPhone 4S's camera in full auto mode in similar circumstances - looks pretty similar, doesn't it? Apart from being a bit darker overall, but that may well be camera related.

And actually it looks much worse on the photo than in real life to the human eye to which it seems a pretty homogenous dimly backlit black/dark grey area. Cameras in automatic mode tend to very long exposure times when it's pitch black and bring up this kind of inconsistencies much more prominently. Judging by the also relatively bright center section of your sample I'd consider your image even more overexposed than my sample.

I've been using the iPad with the above screen for almost everything (surfing the web, mail, movies, games) for two years now and never had any reason to be discontent regarding its display properties and never came across any noticeable backlight bleeding in everyday use. So once again, I don't think your screen is particularly bad at all and most certainly no reason for a replacement.

Dec 8, 2014 11:25 PM in response to Tomskyair

Dear Tomskyair,

first all I want to thank you for the time you took to compile your reply which is quite sensed and mature. I shall recongize that I have likely been perturbed by the obsession to have something perfect, mainly with respect to what I have paid and to what some trolls say on the net. It is true that there are likely perect screens but there are also so many with this kind of defect (or even worse) which is proper to LCD at the end. This is not my first ipad and not the first to show, in fine, this kind of issue (mnore or less accentuated). At the end, I repeated to myself that it is perfect what fits to my use and I barely note this kind of issue when having a black screen even in the dark, when I never use full brightness but almost fully dimmed screen. I was tempted to request an exchange but quality of apple products is not as in the past and I could receive one worse or with other issues as unfortunately experienced in the past with ipad air 1.

I am continuing to enjoy my ipad and eventually exchange it only if the issue is worsening or really bothering me (not the case for the time being.....)

NOTE: I discovered it not for the sake of wanting to find an issue but when it was fully bright during power-on in a dark room...

I leave this thread open just for other people wanting to share their experience and/or wanting to refer to mine / ours.

Many thanks

Emanuele

iPad air 2 backlight bleeding experience

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.