Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imessage "(xxx) xxx-xxxx is not registered with imessage"

i keep getting an error message every time i try to start a new text on my mac in imessage User uploaded file

but if i start the message on my iphone it magically appears on my mac imessage window and i can continue it there

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 6, 2014 11:50 AM

8 replies

Dec 11, 2014 11:03 AM in response to mirage99

Hi,

On the iPhone you can remove the Apple ID if one is linked to the iPhone Number and then place the iPhone in Airport Mode for a few minutes.

After going back to the Messages Settings the iPhone Number should show as "verifying" again.

The iPhone does not need a password for it's number it just registers when the Messages app is turned On.

Obviously if you add the Apple ID you need to use the current password you are using with Apple.

User uploaded file

7:03 pm Thursday; December 11, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Dec 8, 2014 6:06 AM in response to chrissyco2007

Hi chrissyco2007,

Thanks for the question. After reviewing your post, it sounds like you are having trouble sending messages. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help you isolate or resolve the issue.

iOS: Troubleshooting Messages - Apple Support

To resolve issues with sending and receiving iMessages, follow these steps

1. Check iMessage system status for current service issues.
  2. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and make sure that you registered iMessage with your phone number or Apple ID and that you selected iMessage for use. If the phone number or Apple ID isn't available for use, troubleshoot iMessage registration.
  3. Open Safari and navigate to www.apple.com to verify data connectivity. If a data connection isn't available, troubleshoot cellular data or a Wi-Fi connection.
  4. iMessage over cellular data might not be available while you're on a call. Only 3G and faster GSM networks support simultaneous data and voice calls. Learn which network your phone supports. If your network doesn't support simultaneous data and voice calls, go to Settings > Wi-Fi and turn Wi-Fi on to use iMessage while you're on a call.
  5. Restart your device.
  6. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings on your iPhone.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a nice day,

Mario

Dec 10, 2014 12:06 PM in response to chrissyco2007

Hi,

Check the Contacts app on both devices are syncing.

In Messages > Preferences > Accounts > iMessages account > Details Button (You have to sign in here to view) check the Region/Country that is set.

User uploaded file

8:06 pm Wednesday; December 10, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Dec 10, 2014 12:51 PM in response to chrissyco2007

Hi,

Other options.

Without any additional Settings the iMessages account on the Mac version does not Send or Receive SMS texts.

You need Yosemite and iOS 8 to do that.

In this case it may tell you that the phone number is (effectively) not an iPhone and therefore Not Registered.

However you can Send SMS from the iPhone.

If you then have it linked via Yosemite and iOS 8.x.x (Text Forwarding on the iPhone) then you can see and Send SMS text on the Mac.

I have found it can be reluctant to Start a SMS chat as you say.

User uploaded file

8:50 pm Wednesday; December 10, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Dec 10, 2014 1:01 PM in response to chrissyco2007

hi,

I must admit that I come for an iChat background much more that the iOS side an Messages there.

This means I have few iMessages Buddies or even people with non Apple Phones to test with.

There is no Setting in Messages to "force it" to start an SMS message.

User uploaded file

9:01 pm Wednesday; December 10, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Dec 10, 2014 7:57 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I'm actually having the same exact problem. On my MBP i could only imessage a friend, but all the others I would have to start from my iphone, but I couldn't continue the conversation in messages on my laptop.

When I click resend, it tells me these numbesr aren't registered with imessage, but they clearly are. I've tried reactiving imessage on my iphone, but now its says activation unsuccessful, but I can still imessage.

On my MBP, I tried logging out, then logging back into my apple id, but now I can't imessage anyone in messages.

Help.

imessage "(xxx) xxx-xxxx is not registered with imessage"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.