Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Encryption Paused: connect power adapter to resume encryption

Why cant I resume the encryption. I connect the power and nothing happens. I retart with power added and I get a "Calculating time remaining" then right back to the title message. I just bought this Macbook Air and already this issue has happened and its drawing quite a bit of battery power. Also Apps using significant energy shows "Reverting from Filevault"...this does not look good on Mac

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 6, 2014 5:35 PM

4 replies

Dec 6, 2014 7:06 PM in response to mochilln00

The warranty entitles you to complimentary phone support for the first 90 days of ownership.

If you bought the product in the U.S. directly from Apple (not from a reseller), you have 14 days from the date of delivery in which to exchange or return it for a refund. In other countries, the return policy may be different. If you bought from a reseller, its return policy applies.

Dec 17, 2014 8:52 PM in response to mochilln00

I purchased 2 new Mac in December of 2014 - right out of the box in the startup sequence I elected to use filevault. Both are stuck with the same issue "Encryption Paused - Connect Power Adapter to Resume Encryption". I have not seen any value in any response from Apple in these posts, but there are many people with the same issue. Getting it on two fresh machines right out of the box would indicate to me that it is the current Apple software levels.

I did install dropbox on both of the machines. That is the only outside common influence I can see.

The computers are a 13" Macbook Pro and a 13" Macbook Air.

Dec 23, 2014 9:32 PM in response to DaveInDenver

So, after 30 minutes with a support person on chat I asked to be escalated. During the time I waited for the sr. tech to come online I decided the best course of action was to erase the disk and re-install Yosemite. The sr. tech came on and said they are very much aware of this issue and the solution is to erase the disk and re-install Yosemite. This was quite easy.

I followed these instructions which matched what the sr. tech provided: OS X Yosemite: Erase and reinstall OS X

Just be sure to erase the correct disk. For me it was the 2nd Macintosh HD in the list.

Also be sure to choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the format, not Mac OS Extended (Journaled, Encrypted).

You'll need to re-install the included apps (Pages, Garage Band, etc.) by going to the App Store and choosing Purchased.

Hope this helps!

Encryption Paused: connect power adapter to resume encryption

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.