Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Many com.apple.mail.plist files in Library directory

I have 1,779 com.apple.mail.plist files in my library directory, all of which are dated September 12, 2010 at seemingly random times all in the PM.

These files are supposed to contain information about Mail preferences and account, right? Seems like way too many files.

Can I delete them?

Why was I looking at them anyway, you ask? Because I was trying to solve the problem of com.apple.quicklook.satellite errors in my log, went into the Library directory to delete the quicklook plist files and notices these mail plist files.

So, can I delete these?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Dec 6, 2014 7:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2014 7:15 PM

I would delete them. Only one should exist, and it is located in the /Home/Library/Preferences/ folder. To access that folder start with:

Exposing the /Home/Library/ Folder

Pick one of the following methods:

A. This method will make the folder visible permanently. Open the Terminal application in your Utilities folder and paste the following at the command prompt:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

Press RETURN.

B. Click on the Desktop, press the OPTION (⌥) button, select Library from the Finder's Go menu.

C. Select Go To Folder from the Finder's Go menu. Paste the following in the path field:

~/Library

Press the Go button.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2014 7:15 PM in response to LMM53

I would delete them. Only one should exist, and it is located in the /Home/Library/Preferences/ folder. To access that folder start with:

Exposing the /Home/Library/ Folder

Pick one of the following methods:

A. This method will make the folder visible permanently. Open the Terminal application in your Utilities folder and paste the following at the command prompt:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

Press RETURN.

B. Click on the Desktop, press the OPTION (⌥) button, select Library from the Finder's Go menu.

C. Select Go To Folder from the Finder's Go menu. Paste the following in the path field:

~/Library

Press the Go button.

Many com.apple.mail.plist files in Library directory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.