Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help. Strange icon in dock: "Safari from Mac" ?????????

I need your help please. I'm a little freaked out to find a strange icon in the doc today (Yosemite 10.10.1) that when I mouse over it says "SAFARI FROM MAC". It is not regular Safari which is also in the doc so somehow I got this without knowing about it. When clicked in the dock, the icon disappears, a Safari window opens taking me to websites such as "qvc.com", "Consumeraffairs.com". Then the icon immediately re-appears in the dock! I need to find what this is and how to get rid of it.

I have tried AdwareMedic which isn't recognizing any adware. I searched for "Safari From Mac" on the web but can't find anyone else who has had been "infected" this. It's the Safari Icon with a little picture of a monitor in the upper right corner. I'm attaching a screen grab. Right-clicking this icon doesn't do anything (intentionally I suppose).

Anyone knowledgable please help me locate and delete it? Thank you.

User uploaded file

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 6, 2014 7:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2014 7:51 PM

I'm the original poster. Now the icon is "MAIL FROM MAC". It alternates with the fake Safari icon.

User uploaded file

3 replies

Please help. Strange icon in dock: "Safari from Mac" ?????????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.