Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bookmarks from IE not synced to iDevices using iTunes

I used the local sync of bookmarks via iTunes for years. After an interrupted iTunes update in 07/2014 on Win7, I detected the bookmark changes (new created, deleted, moved, ...) in IE were not synced to the iDevices. Now additionally on every sync, the local (IE) bookmarks become overwritten by those from the iDevices. Pretty frustrating...

Setup:

- Win7 with up to date iTunes

- Several iDevices (iPhone, iPad) with up to date iOS

- Local sync via usb cable or wifi (no difference)

What I think (cause):

The interrupted iTunes setup seems to have corrupted the file C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\SyncServices\Local\TFSM\com.apple.Bookmarks\data.syncdb.

This file contains all bookmarks and can unfortunately not read (just rubish) with SQlite editors. The data.syncdb should be created by com.apple.IE.client.exe (located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support) or updated every time a local sync of bookmarks is done.

The problem could be: iTunes (or the com.apple.IE.client.exe) does not check and detect the newly created local IE bookmarks. The data.syncdb is not updated (file size, # of records in table "Records" and file timestamp changes from sync to sync, but with no effect on the iDevice side).

What I did so far:

- Repaired and newly installed iTunes and Apple Mobile Device Support

- Deleted data.syncdb to force a new creation

- Restored an older data.syncdb version from file backups before the iTunes update in 07/2014

- Hoped that further iTunes updates would probably fix it - they didn´t

- Disabled bookmark sync in iTunes (iDevice info settings), synced, enabled, synced

Everythink without any effect so far.

I don´t want to use iCloud for my bookmarks. I´d like to repair this function. I´m pretty skilled with IT stuff, but this problem is a really tough one.

I´ll appreciate ANY help!

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Dec 7, 2014 6:39 AM

2 replies

Bookmarks from IE not synced to iDevices using iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.