Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2014 MacBook Pro Retina - VERY SLOW USB 3.0 = cloning is now not possible

For all my previous MacBook (Air and Pro) with Maverick, I always backed it up using Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC). For those who doesn't know, CCC can create a bootable image of your Mac. So you can take the external drive, plug it is into any Mac, boot up and VOILA! You got your machine right there. Much better than Time Machine.

Anyways, I tried to do a CCC image on my MacBook Pro Retina 2014 with Yosemite and this is what I found out:

1). USB 3.0

Very, very slow. I cannot get more than 40 MB Read / Write. Tested with major flash drive proven to have high speed:

From the Amazon URL above, you'll see that other reviewers (see the Amazon URL) got 180 MBps Read and 80 Mbps Write, but I don't know if they are running Yosemite and/or the new MBPr.

From the System Report, Yosemite show that these drives IS capable of USB 3.0 speed:

USB 3.0 FD:

Speed: Up to 5 Gb/sec

Manufacturer: PNY Technologies

Location ID: 0x15200000 / 12

Current Available (mA): 900

Current Required (mA): 504

Capacity: 256 GB (255,999,344,640 bytes)

Removable Media: Yes

Internal Memory Card Reader:

Product ID: 0x8406

Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)

Version: 8.20 Serial Number: 000000000820

Speed: Up to 5 Gb/sec

Manufacturer: Apple

And this brings me to the next problem...

2). Cloning

I can clone my new MBP with Yosemite as usual, but then booting up from the flash drive is SUPER SLOW, like this:

• Apple icon shown with progress bar --> 10 minutes
  • Login screen shown - click on the Password box --> beachball for 5 minutes
  • Got to desktop --> beachball for 5 minutes

... you got the idea

With Maverick, all the cloned image boot up fast and is usable, as if I the image is installed in the internal hard drive. I tried both SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner - same exact results.

So my questions:1). Is the slow USB 3.0 speed a common problem or my MBP just have bad ports (both of them?)?

2). Any idea about the cloning issue? I am leaning towards Yosemite OS as the main culprint, since Maverick works OK, but want to get the expert opinion.

Posted on Dec 7, 2014 9:35 AM

11 replies

Dec 7, 2014 4:40 PM in response to striders

FYI, this is the speed I get for one of the USB drive (see below). This is far below the speed I get on Windows machine or, as other posted in Amazon review, in older MacBook.

Keep in mind that these tests are done using two separate USB 3.0 flash drives, both reported to have speed of 5Gb/Sec in OSX System Report (See Apple FAQ here - How can I determine if my device is connected as a USB 3 device?) and are fast in Windows machine.

Anyone see the same problem with USB 3.0 on latest MacBook Pro?

User uploaded file

Feb 1, 2015 11:18 AM in response to nevioth

Same issue as above. Connecting WD My Passport Ultra 1TB. Looked at Apple -> About This Mac -> System Report and confirmed drive is registering on USB 3.0 Superspeed Bus. Both Time Machine and newly created partitions are reporting 100MBps on read and writes, this should be more like 650MBps.

Anyone have any idea what is going on? Apple Experts Help Please! 😢

Jun 14, 2015 5:21 PM in response to striders

I have the exact same issue, I have a MBP Retina Display 2015 13'' a 2014 Retina 15'' both running Yosemite and a 2010 13'' running Mavericks, the 2010 is way faster than both my new mac, I just updated the 2010 to Yosemite, and it took 22 minutes to transfer a 4.2GB Movie to a USB, same USB when used on the same computer but with Mavericks, it used to take about a minute or two, its impossible to make big transfers to USB, I just got a Wireless USB from SanDisk, its a life saver in this situation.

I hope that with OS X El Capitan coming out, they fixed this issue.

Jul 6, 2015 7:08 AM in response to striders

Yes, I have same problem and it pains me that Apple do not sort issues out with their OS faster, they must know about them! I am sure they must use pen drives and so know about this!

It can take me 15 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a pen drive when it used to take less than a minute even on my old macbook.

I find a similar issue exists when emptying the trash when deleted files from a pen drive have been trashed only it is much slower to empty than to copy to!

Sep 22, 2015 8:06 AM in response to striders

I also had this problem on my rMBP 13.3 late 2013, but I am connecting with an ESATA to USB3.0 adapter this time.

User uploaded file

In system report it is identified as USB3.0 device; however, my HDD cannot go over 40MB/s. Using this connector on other windows notebook can make R/W speed up to 100MB/s. I believe it is the compatible issue of apple hardware/driver (I have no time to install bootcamp Windows and test).

Feb 22, 2016 1:26 PM in response to woodyc79

I have the same problem with a new, mid-2015 Macbook Pro 15" running El Capitan. I have a PNY 32GB USB 3.0 device that runs fast OCCASIONALLY, and a Sandisk SDCZ60-016G that usually runs fast. With the PNY device, sometimes it takes close to 60 seconds for the device to mount (i.e., show up on the desktop), but most of the time it mounts quickly enough. The transfers are just extremely slow. I haven't noticed any correlation yet between how fast it mounts and the transfer speed. Also, I can't find the model number on the drive, or a picture around the internet, but it's still at Best Buy, and it comes in the same packaging as this one: http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Turbo-32GB-Flash-Drive/dp/B00FDUHD2K

Nevertheless, with the PNY device, when the transfer reports 5 hours to transfer 18GB of files and, it's actually faster for me to plug it into a late-2009 Mac Mini running El Capitan, that only has USB 2.0 ports, and then transfer them to my Macbook via a shared folder. This is kind of ridiculous.

To add to the above I'm transferring large video files, and the very first time I used the PNY device it took 3+ hours to transfer 6GB. To my great surprise, the Sandisk mentioned above did the same task in minutes. Then to my even greater surprise, the PNY device transferred large files in minutes ONE time. Since then, it's been slow, and prompted me to look into this. (I just purchased some faster Sandisk flash drives, so hopefully they will not be bogged down by whatever bug is causing this.)

Mar 15, 2016 1:38 PM in response to eroberer4u

I'm having the same slow speed issues with my Macbook Pro 13" retina, 2015, running El Capitan. It exists with external USB 3 drives, and USB 3 flash drives. Speed ranges from about 30 MB/s to at best 80 MB/s, with 50 MB/s being more typical with my two USB 3 drives. It used to be well over 100 MB/s. I was on the phone with Apple for an hour, doing various resets and trying things, and nothing worked. I'm going to take the computer in to an Apple Store. But I wonder if this is just an El Capitan problem.

2014 MacBook Pro Retina - VERY SLOW USB 3.0 = cloning is now not possible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.