Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 2011, switched to SSD + HDD, SSD Problem

Hi,

So I have just installed my new SSD, a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB and I have an issue.

Installing it went in order, replacing the HDD with the new SSD and switching out the optical drive with a caddy containing the old HDD.

Here is the issue: I booted up my MacBook Pro from the HDD (since the SSD was fresh, wanted a fresh OS install) and a window popped up saying that the Mac didn't recognise the disk and when I went to Disk Utility it said "File system formatter failed".

I assume other people have had problems like this before, any suggestions on what the problem might be?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 7, 2014 12:47 PM

22 replies

Dec 7, 2014 12:55 PM in response to whitearmor

Boot the computer from your external HDD. The alert you received is normal. One of the alert's options is "Initialize." Select that option which should open Disk Utility. Proceed as follows:

Install OS X Using Internet Recovery

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Internet Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  2. After Disk Utility loads select your newly installed SSD (the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
  3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should restore the version of OS X originally pre-installed on the computer.

Dec 7, 2014 1:26 PM in response to Kappy

I replaced my stock HDD with and SSD, the SSD is now in it's place. Since I wanted to keep the HDD, I have placed it in the optical drive slot by removing the optical drive from my Mac. I've put the SSD in clean, so no OS, no data, no nothing. The Mac boots up from the HDD in the optical drive, as I have read on the Internet that that works. Now the Mac has an error when I try to erase/format/partition the SSD (the picture above).

I haven't since I don't have an external HDD and I guess I can't transfer my files on my SSD since I can't do anything with it.

Dec 7, 2014 1:37 PM in response to whitearmor

Would you please look in the Disk Utility status area to see if the SSD is already formatted NTFS. Also, you should install OS X on the SSD using the Internet Recovery. Your computer should be able to use it. However, if it isn't then you need to start the computer from the Recovery HD which is now on your HDD.

Dec 7, 2014 2:02 PM in response to whitearmor

I don't see why Disk Utility shouldn't be able to partition the SSD, but then your filesystem has been converted to use core storage. Disk Utility may think you are trying to configure a Fusion Drive. You don't have FileVault enabled, do you?

I can only show you how to return the filesystem from core storage to standard. I believe this will allow you to set up the SSD normally, but it requires you use the Terminal in your Utilities folder.

Open the Terminal and paste this at the prompt:

diskutil list

Press RETURN.

Please copy the resulting output from the Terminal window and paste it into your next post here.

Dec 7, 2014 2:06 PM in response to Kappy

I don't have FileVault, no.

This is what I got from the Terminal:

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: *256.1 GB disk0

/dev/disk1

0: GUID_partition_scheme *320.1 GB disk1

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_CoreStorage 319.2 GB disk1s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk1s3

/dev/disk2

0: Apple_HFS Aldo Mac *318.8 GB disk2

Logical Volume on disk1s2

E0A319CE-4B65-435A-8A0C-9CDA73F77F55

Unencrypted

Dec 7, 2014 2:21 PM in response to whitearmor

OK. Now you will enter:

sudo diskutil cs convert /dev/disk1s2

Press RETURN. You will be prompted to type in your admin password. It will not echo to the window - type carefully. Press RETURN again.

If there's no problem you will not get an error and the prompt will return.

Now, give the partitioning of the SSD a try in Disk Utility again.

Dec 7, 2014 3:04 PM in response to whitearmor

I think we can instead try fixing up the SSD instead.

sudo unmountDisk force /dev/disk0

sudo diskutil partitionDisk disk0 GPT HFS+ vol1 100%

Paste each of the above lines into the Terminal window and press RETURN after each one.

I mistakenly gave you a wrong parameter before, so don't use the command again.

Dec 7, 2014 3:15 PM in response to Kappy

Got this:

Started partitioning on disk0

Unmounting disk

Creating the partition map

Waiting for the disks to reappear

Formatting disk0s2 as Mac OS Extended with name vol1

newfs_hfs: WriteBuffer: pwrite(3, 0x10238d000, 1048576, 0): Input/output error

newfs_hfs: write (sector 0): Invalid argument

Mounting disk

Could not mount disk0s2 with name (null) after erase

Error: -69832: File system formatter failed

But now I have this in my Disk Utility:

User uploaded file

MBP 2011, switched to SSD + HDD, SSD Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.