Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID can't be used on facetime

I'm using facetime on my iPhone and iPad normally but on my Mac it gimes this error msg "Your Apple ID "xxxxx" can't be used to set up FaceTime at this time. If this is a new Apple ID, you do not need to create another one. To use this Apple ID with FaceTime, contact FaceTime support with the code below. Customer Code: 2966-8875-0300". What is this?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 7, 2014 3:27 PM

1 reply

Mar 25, 2015 10:46 AM in response to thaissrguimaraes

I had this problem on my macbook pro 10.9.5 today in March 2015. After a frustrating 2 hrs, it seemed to boil down to this: If you have two-step verification for iCloud (4 digit code to your phone to sign in), then Apple is now requiring an "app specific password" for iMessage and FaceTime , since those applications don't use two step verification. I found this out by going to Message and trying to turn on the iMessage account .. after several unsuccessful tries using my iCloud AppleID password I finally got prompted to go to get the app-specific password at iCloud online, It's 16 digits generated by Apple that are for both FaceTime and iMessage ... and it worked. But I got so annoyed, I just went into iCloud settings online and turned off two-step verification - which also ended the requirement for the app specific password for FaceTime and iMessage.

Apple software has become almost as opaque and non-inuitive as Microsoft's. If this app-specific pass is suddenly a new requirement, why wouldn't Apple send out a broadcast email to everyone using 2-step verification?

Apple ID can't be used on facetime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.