Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I install OS X Mountain Lion in a machine that came with OS X Yosemite already?? I need to do it in order for me to keep working with some of my softwares.

How do I install OS X Mountain Lion in a machine that came with OS X Yosemite already?? I need to do it in order for me to keep working with some of my softwares with are very expensive and can't afford to buy new versions.

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 7, 2014 10:01 PM

6 replies

Dec 8, 2014 4:16 PM in response to Manso25yK

Hello Manso25yK,

Unfortunately you cannot run Mountain Lion on your Mac. It is too old to support your new Mac's hardware. You also cannot run it inside a virtual machine with 10.10 as the host because it is a violation of Mountain Lion's license agreement. The only way to run Mountain Lion is to get an older Mac that supports it.

If your software will run in 10.6 Snow Leopard, you can buy Snow Leopard Server from Apple for $20 and install it into a virtual machine, and run your software in it.

How do I install OS X Mountain Lion in a machine that came with OS X Yosemite already?? I need to do it in order for me to keep working with some of my softwares.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.