Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Three ibooks with different name but ibooks claims they are the same

With iBook Author I've created three iBooks, called 2014-08, 2014-09 and 2014-10. They have different file names and in the inspector properties of the book they are named differently 2014-08 August, 2014-09 September and 2014-10 October. But when I want to add them to the iBooks Library, 2014-09 wants to replace 2014-08 and same for 2014-10. iBooks believes that all three books are the same.

I had startet with book 2014-08. When it grew too big a created with duplicate a spin off and called it 2014-09. When this grew too big I again created a spin off using duplicate and called it 2014-10.

Which property do I need to change in order that iBook considers them as different ?

As I do not know if this concerns iBook or iBook Author I posted only in iBooks Forum.

Thanks

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), iBook Author V2.2, iBooks V1.1

Posted on Dec 8, 2014 7:13 AM

11 replies

Dec 22, 2014 1:48 AM in response to Primzahl_3541

Here it is similar: using the export function of iBooks Author, I am creating *.ibooks files with different names and size. As soon as the first one has been opened on my mac or on the ipad (using Dropbox), I can click to open any other file, always the first one - which is now located in iBooks - will open.

As soon as I delete the first loaded file, I can play the game with any other file, however always the first one will remain here....

Dec 23, 2014 2:40 AM in response to vinnyvg

That's correct. I first created an iBook with a specific name. Then on finder level I made a copy of that iBook, renamed the file and changed also the corresponding information in the inspector in iBook Author. For me the filenames are different and all metadata that I can change as a user in the inspector in iBook Author are different. Nevertheless when I export the books and want to import them in to the iBook application in OS X, iBook regards them as identical.

I have no clue where other than in the inspector I can change more metadata in order to make iBook treat them as separate iBooks.

Thanks

Dec 23, 2014 2:18 PM in response to Primzahl_3541

The problem here is that you have duplicated the *.iba file in Finder. There is a unique and un-editable marker inside of each and every *.iba file that is created when the template is chosen. Circumventing this process creates multiple *.iba files with the same, no longer unique, identifier and all of the *.ibooks files exported from any of these *.iba files will appear to iBooks to be the same and that will really confuse the iBooks.app. The iBooks app pays no attention to the file name.

I made this same mistake while preparing six books for an iTunes U course. My students and I were totally confounded until Apple support identified the cause and fix for this issue.

The solution is to always create a new *.iba file from a template. Once you have that first book the way you want all of the books in this series to look, save it as a template and use that template to create all of the books in the series. File > Save as template. The iBooks app will then know that they are different.

The other thing that you want to be sure to do is to get the title and author entered into the first (Document) pane of the inspector. That should agree with what you have on the title page.

Dec 25, 2014 10:52 AM in response to vinnyvg

There is too much content already in those ibooks, so I can't simply restart from scratch. But what solved the problem was

1. Save each iBook that has this problem as a template. All content stays with the template

2. For each iBook create a new iBook from Template Chooser and choose the template saved in step 1.

3. Complete the inspector pane for the book (title, author, language, comment, etc.)

4. Save each iBook under a new name

5. Export each iBook as for publishing in iTunes to generate the .ibooks file

6. Import those files to the iBook Library. Now they are considered as different iBooks

Thanks for everyones help. Now I know how to avoid such problems for future projects.

May 19, 2015 12:37 PM in response to bydc

As reported above, I found myself in this predicament well after investing a good deal of time in the first four books of a six book series. So, I created four custom templates and then worked from each of these. Now that the crisis is over, I will not use any of these templates because they are so full of content. So now I want to get rid of these bloated templates. Here's how:

• Click the Finder icon in the Dock and choose Go > Go to Folder.
  • To open the Templates folder, enter: ~/Library/Application Support/iBooks Author/Templates/My Templates/
  • Find the custom template and drag it to the Trash.

Three ibooks with different name but ibooks claims they are the same

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.