Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing TM backup from Trash bin

I use TM to backup data from my iMac, and once in a while, I manually delete the backup versions from the backup drive. (I know this is not recommended, but I have done it a couple of times recently). Even after emptying the trash, I notice that these backup folders continue to exist there, and give me messages like 'some unlocked items cannot be removed' and 'operation cant be completed because the item Applications is in use'. While these folders are not occupying any space (20-40 MB), they continue to remain in the trash. Is there a way to remove them permanently?

thanks in advance.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3), 21 in, 8GB RAM, i5Core Intel,

Posted on Dec 8, 2014 12:50 PM

4 replies

Jan 8, 2015 10:10 AM in response to hibhaven

hi, This problem still continues, I have approx 80 GB data in the Trash that refuses to empty. When i do the 'Secure empty bin' command, it starts the process of emptying the bin, after calculating ~ 700,000 files, with a steady progress of 1 file per minute. Usually it stops mid-way with some error message.

I'd appreciate if someone could guide me on how to manually empty the Trash.

Removing TM backup from Trash bin

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.