Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where can I find a checkbook register template for Numbers for Mac?

Hello:

I am new to Mac and Numbers would like a checkbook register for Numbers for Mac. Numerous internet searches have shows Numbers from 2009 or earlier came with a template but the most current version of Numbers (which I of course have) did not come with it. I am not comfortable enough in Mac or Numbers yet to create my own.

Please help!

Thank you!

Kelly J

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 8, 2014 2:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2014 7:24 PM

Hi Kelly,

I did a web search for Checking Register Numbers '09. Here is one:

http://www.freeiworktemplates.com/2008/03/numbers-08-checkbook-register-template /#download

Click on Download, then Download iWork '09 version.

It will arrive in your Downloads folder as a zip file.

Double click to unzip. Double click again to launch. It will open in Numbers 3.

As soon as you start to edit it, Numbers will ask you if you want upgrade the spreadsheet. Click on Upgrade.

Then Menu > File > Save As Template.

That spreadsheet is quite different from the Apple template, so I guess it has been created from scratch. Therefore I hope I am right in thinking there is no Apple copyright.

Regards,

Ian.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2014 7:24 PM in response to kellyjesq

Hi Kelly,

I did a web search for Checking Register Numbers '09. Here is one:

http://www.freeiworktemplates.com/2008/03/numbers-08-checkbook-register-template /#download

Click on Download, then Download iWork '09 version.

It will arrive in your Downloads folder as a zip file.

Double click to unzip. Double click again to launch. It will open in Numbers 3.

As soon as you start to edit it, Numbers will ask you if you want upgrade the spreadsheet. Click on Upgrade.

Then Menu > File > Save As Template.

That spreadsheet is quite different from the Apple template, so I guess it has been created from scratch. Therefore I hope I am right in thinking there is no Apple copyright.

Regards,

Ian.

Dec 9, 2014 3:56 AM in response to kellyjesq

Kelly,

The Budget Template in Numbers 3 can be modified to include a Checkbook function by adding one row and one column to the Transactions table.

Here's what it would look like:

User uploaded file

There are a couple of significant changes, one for you and some for the document.

The change for you is that you must remember to enter checks as negative numbers and deposits a positive numbers. This is standard accounting practice - money going away is negative, money coming in is positive.

Besides the new column in Transactions, you also must put a minus sign in front of the expression in the Actual column of the Summary by Category table in the Budget Sheet.

The expression in the new column of the transactions table is:

=IF(D=0, "", E$2+SUM(D$2:D3))

The extra row in the Transactions is just to hold the label for beginning balance.

Regards,

Jerry

Jan 27, 2015 6:07 AM in response to Jerrold Green1

Hi Jerry,

I had been using the old checkbook template from numbers and it is no longer calculating. In advance, I apologize, this is all very foreign to me.

When I entered the expression: =IF(D=0, "", E$2+SUM(D$2:D3)) to the Transactions column, the value which appears in the first row (under the beginning balance total), appears in all the subsequent rows below and do not recalculate new data entry. How would I correct this?

Next, when you suggest putting a minus sign in front of the expression in the Actual column, could you explain this in more detail, well , step by step! lol

Thank you so much,

Karl

May 10, 2015 7:24 PM in response to kellyjesq

Here is the formula you want to use in Numbers for a check book register. I figured it out by watching this video on creating a check register using Microsoft Excel: www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWhUAG8iA_k and then combining directions from a post by Jerrold Green 1. You don't have to download a template.

You just need to know the formula.

Here Is What You Do Step By Step:

1. Select the cell beneath F2 (your opening balance), in this case F3
  2. Press the = sign key on your keyboard
  3. Now select cell F2
  4. Now type the minus sign
  5. Now select column D (put your curser on the D and select it)
  6. Now type the + sign
  7. Now select column E (put your curser on the E and select it)
  8. Now place your curser at the very beginning of that formula, (in front of the equal sign)
  9. Now type the word if
  10. Now select if, (it's highlighted with a blue oval bubble directly below the formula box)
  11. Now select column A (put your curser on the A and select it)
  12. Now type =0
  13. Now press the right directional key to go pass the comma after the zero, that comma needs to stay there
  14. Now type ""
  15. Now you have to delete these three things: if-false, a white moon thingy, and a plus sign. (All three are to the right of the comma you just typed.)
  16. Now delete the if-false if you see it: (put your curser to the right of it and press delete twice)
  17. Now delete the white moon thingy if you see it: (put your curser to the right of it and press delete once)
  18. Now delete the plus sign if you see it: (put your curser to the right of it and press delete once)
  19. Now select the green check mark on the right end of the formula box and your done with the formula.
  20. Now select the cell that your formula is in, (which in this case would be F3)
  21. Now move your curser
  22. You should now see a yellow circle.
  23. Put your curser on the yellow circle, it's going to change to a double arrow.
  24. Now select the yellow circle and drag it to every cell below that you want the formula in.
  25. Now you can enter your transactions. 🙂

There are other ways to do some of these directions, but for right now, for us beginners, this is perfect. Excuse my lingo, I just learned how to do this on my own, I know nothing about numbers.

May 10, 2015 7:45 PM in response to singantsing

Here is the formula you want to use in Numbers for a check book register. I figured it out by watching this video on creating a check register using Microsoft Excel: www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWhUAG8iA_k and then combining directions from a post by Jerrold Green 1. You don't have to download a template.

You just need to know the formula.

Here Is What You Do Step By Step: I Reposted this because I forgot the Comma the first time in step #14

1. Select the cell beneath F2 (your opening balance), in this case F3
  2. Press the = sign key on your keyboard
  3. Now select cell F2
  4. Now type the minus sign
  5. Now select column D (put your curser on the D and select it)
  6. Now type the + sign
  7. Now select column E (put your curser on the E and select it)
  8. Now place your curser at the very beginning of that formula, (in front of the equal sign)
  9. Now type the word if
  10. Now select if, (it's highlighted with a blue oval bubble directly below the formula box)
  11. Now select column A (put your curser on the A and select it)
  12. Now type =0
  13. Now press the right directional key to go pass the comma after the zero, that comma needs to stay there
  14. Now type "",
  15. Now you have to delete these three things: if-false, a white moon thingy, and a plus sign. (All three are to the right of the comma you just typed.)
  16. Now delete the if-false if you see it: (put your curser to the right of it and press delete twice)
  17. Now delete the white moon thingy if you see it: (put your curser to the right of it and press delete once)
  18. Now delete the plus sign if you see it: (put your curser to the right of it and press delete once)
  19. Now select the green check mark on the right end of the formula box and your done with the formula.
  20. Now select the cell that your formula is in, (which in this case would be F3)
  21. Now move your curser
  22. You should now see a yellow circle.
  23. Put your curser on the yellow circle, it's going to change to a double arrow.
  24. Now select the yellow circle and drag it to every cell below that you want the formula in.
  25. Now you can enter your transactions. 🙂

There are other ways to do some of these directions, but for right now, for us beginners, this is perfect. Excuse my lingo, I just learned how to do this on my own, I know nothing about numbers.

Where can I find a checkbook register template for Numbers for Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.