Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite "[Thunderbolt 2] disk not ejected properly" after sleep

Since installing Yosemite, when my Mac Pro comes out of sleep, I get a "Disk not ejected properly" for each disk drive attached by Thunderbolt 2. This all worked fine on Mavericks.

(I have a similar problem with my dual displays, which again worked fine on Mavericks - I've posted this on a different thread under Mac Pro).

The manual solution is to physically unplug the drives, but doing this more than 10 times a day is not impressing me.

Mac Pro 2014, OSX Yosemite 10.10.1, dual DELL U2713HM monitors, La Cie 2Bug Thunderbolt 2

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 9, 2014 12:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply
7 replies

Dec 9, 2014 3:29 AM in response to lllaass

Not sure how that helps Illaass - that thread is just another question with no answers. It might be an idea if you read the thread before suggesting it?

There is another thread that suggests a solution (link below), but I've attempted that fix with no success. I also get the "Scheduled Backup Failed" that is mentioned by others.

Re: Yosemite ejects external drives

Note that none of these issues happened before upgrading to Yosemite - everything was fine on Mavericks - and it appears as though Apple are keeping quiet on them.

Jan 21, 2015 1:49 AM in response to Mo_SR

FYI - I still have no solution to this. I have tried all the suggestions of power settings, spotlight restrictions, etc but with no effect. I haven't yet tried using different cables (how do you know what is a good cable?) or resetting the PRAM/SMC which I'll try eventually and report back on.

It looks like many people are seeing this issue and each has their own way of fixing it, although that's an assumption as those people haven't come back to confirm the fix.

Apr 10, 2016 10:28 PM in response to Mo_SR

Agreed. This is an incessant problem on my 27" 5k iMac. At least 10-20% of the time when the computer sleeps, the drive ends up disconnecting. It doesn't seem to matter if I have "allow hard disks to sleep" in energy saver preferences checked or unchecked. Even if the drive remains powered (fan spinning 24x7), it'll show as disconnected on wake. It doesn't matter how many times I unplug the thunderbolt connection or unplug the power to the drives, the system (according to diskutil) will NEVER see the drives until a full reboot.

It makes using my brand-new computer a janky, time-consuming hassle.

Apple has got to fix this. There's simply no way many of their customers can make do with the miniscule built-in storage. If these were the days where the system had space for extra drives, that would be another story.

Apr 11, 2016 5:46 AM in response to Mo_SR

Its a problem related to these things:

pram

which OSX

thunderbolt device daisy chain and

Display connection configuration.

The best thing you can do and I agree its a pita is to try different daisy chains and start with the Displays first.

I can tell you from experience that Mavericks adapts to the pram much better than Yosemite which is worse then El Capitan.

For starters on the Displays connection use ASP then thunderbolt and make sure your Display is showing route string 1 and since you only have one thunderbolt bus and two ports then a second display is not going to show route string 1 so you'll need to improvise your daisy chain and try it until you have no issues.

I could go on with this and provide more information but it just gets too complicated.

Apr 13, 2016 2:10 AM in response to DonH49

Hello!

I have a 2012 Mac mini, which has attached via Thunderbolt a Lacie 2big Thunderbolt2 and an LG 34UM95-P display.

I also have the problem that the Lacie drive is ejected after sleep of the Mac mini sometimes (the Mac mini has to sleep for an hour).

I wrote a bugreport to apple, but they told me that they can not reproduce it and they closed the bugreport. I can reproduce it with a fresh install of El Capitan all the time. :-(

I wrote to Lacie and they gave me a complete new drive, but nothing changed. Afterwards someone from Lacie called me to here if the new drive is working and he told me that it seems that Apple is not waiting for the drive to spin up at waking up from sleep.

The drive is working fine connected via USB 3 to the Mac mini, but that is not the reason why I bought a Thunderbolt drive. :-(

But Apple is doing nothing on this problem! It's a shame! I am very, very p.... off. Did I told that I am p... off?

Yosemite "[Thunderbolt 2] disk not ejected properly" after sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.