Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iMac with OS X Yosemite, Safari 8, cookies reappear when removed in preferences. What needs to be done to stop them reappearing following pressing the remove button?

Using iMac with OS X Yosemite, Safari 8, when in preferences and removing cookies they constantly reappear shortly after deletion with other previously removed cookies sometimes reappearing in addition to those already present. How do i resolve this issue, ( i'm a computer dummy)?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Safari 8.0 ( 10600.1.25.1 ).

Posted on Dec 9, 2014 1:59 AM

3 replies

Dec 9, 2014 7:37 AM in response to Ptandmand

Additionally, every time you visit a website, it will place another (new) cookie(s). There is no way to permanently disable a site's cookies as some sites will not display their content without allowing them to place a cookie. It's mostly marketing related - they want to know if you've been there before so they can tailor the ads to your preferences. Or, they are used to identify you: I clean out my cookies about once a week or so; if I mistakenly remove a cookie from one of my banks, they will block me and not allow online access to my account because they don't recognize my computer. I have to spend 15 - 30 minutes on the phone before I get a temporary access code. So, be careful what cookies you allow and/or get rid of.

Mar 4, 2015 4:44 AM in response to babowa

thanks for your input..I had been clearing the unwanted cookies after each session..Even though I had set the preference to always block several always popped in..I finally bought an app called "cookie" which will allow me to identify which sites I will accept cookies from (such as banks) you are right the blanket removal of cookies causes too much grief..thank for your help..

Using iMac with OS X Yosemite, Safari 8, cookies reappear when removed in preferences. What needs to be done to stop them reappearing following pressing the remove button?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.