Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why do some of my inbox entires appear in yellow/beige rather than black type?

Some email entries in the viewing pane are showing in yellow type rather than black. Why?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Dec 9, 2014 4:46 AM

10 replies

Dec 9, 2014 7:50 AM in response to lllaass

No - that's not it. The type face is coloured (yellow) and there is an icon to the left of the mail item but I cannot make out what it is - a crushed paper bag perhaps? This only started 2 days ago. Up until then every entry of mail in my in box and junk in box was in black typeface; bold for unread mail, and regular font for read mail. I have not made any changes. This new colour has come out of nowhere and I cannot see any pattern as to why some messages are like this and some not. I am using Yosemite.

Thanks for trying to help.

Dec 9, 2014 11:30 AM in response to susanmarjorie

Thank you Grant but up to now my junk mail went into my junk mail in-box with no colour change.Now, many of them (but not all) are this new colour (brownish) with an icon. In addition, some of my real mail (not junk mail) in my real inbox are now coloured but are not necessarily junk. If I click on them, they revert to black. Its weird. Is this another Yosemite pain?

Dec 10, 2014 8:32 AM in response to susanmarjorie

Why it happens now and not before is just one more digital mystery, but there are some settings that you can alter that make more sensible if you want.

In Mail>Preferences>Junk Mail make your settings thus:

User uploaded file

The last 2 are the important ones, they will stop Mail taking notice of what your ISP says about the email, instead Mail will assess whether it is junk. If it is then it will be recoloured and moved to the junk mailbox. Over time Mail will learn (which it can't do very well now as it is not checking any mail marked as junk by your ISP) so the database is always complete instead of partially.

why do some of my inbox entires appear in yellow/beige rather than black type?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.