Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite 10.10.1 Beam V Sync slow screen refresh issues & Pro Tools 11 and Games

Hello,

I took the plunge to upgrade to Yosemite today.

Everything seemed to run fine until I launched Pro Tools 11.2.2. With yosemite, the screen refresh became very slow - unusable, really.

Then I came across a poster who suggested I download quartz debug from the Xcode developer tools and disable Beam Sync.

Thankfully that has saved my day. It seems Yosemite is being really aggressive with their v-sync approach by forcing this on all apps? Not sure...

I'm not sure this is an issue with Yosemite, Pro Tools or both. I hear a lot of people are having the same issues of low poor fps rates in the gaming community,

Apple, please fix this asap?

By the way, moving the mouse cursor A LOT aggravated the problem even further. Again, thankfully, disabling Beam sync has resolved my issue.

The side effects are obvious in a scroll within safari though. I get screen scroll tearing.

So disabled for Pro tools operation... and back to Automatic for regular OS X tasks and apps.

I hope this helps anyone else out there?

I'm on an NVIDIA Geforce GT330M on a macbook pro mid 2010.

Macbook Pro Build 10J567, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7

Posted on Dec 9, 2014 4:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2014 2:32 AM

I just want to add that to further this improvement, I also disabled stat menus, and anything on the menu bar that caused the screen to refresh. I disabled transparency, the genie effect, and forced quit the window server on the activity monitor, and disabled the dashboard and the system preference "displays have separate spaces" - which required a re-login.

I also left the auto-switching on the nergey preferences to the GPU to always use the 330m, rather than the intel hd card.

Basically, I disabled anything that made any extra load on the GPU.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2014 2:32 AM in response to Denis E.

I just want to add that to further this improvement, I also disabled stat menus, and anything on the menu bar that caused the screen to refresh. I disabled transparency, the genie effect, and forced quit the window server on the activity monitor, and disabled the dashboard and the system preference "displays have separate spaces" - which required a re-login.

I also left the auto-switching on the nergey preferences to the GPU to always use the 330m, rather than the intel hd card.

Basically, I disabled anything that made any extra load on the GPU.

Jan 31, 2015 10:38 AM in response to Denis E.

Hey Dennis same problem here on my Mac pro with PT 11.3 and Yosemite. The way I fixed the issue and I just stumbked across this was to run screenflow the screen capture app. I can have pro tools running and launch screenflow and the glitched interface goes away, don't have to turn off all the other stuff and it uses almost no cpu to have screenflow just open ready to record but no need to record. Makes no sence but totally kills the issue. Hopefully Avid will get an update out soon for PT 11.

Yosemite 10.10.1 Beam V Sync slow screen refresh issues & Pro Tools 11 and Games

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.