Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't empty trash, error code -43

Hello there everyone,

So as written above, my problem is that I can't empty my trash, I've tried every solution I've found on the internet, but none of them actually work. When I try to empty it, I get the message that the items are in use, but it is practically impossible, because they are some text files, but with weird extension in the filename's end, for example:

notes_102_331_2012-(ABC).txt/Zone.Identifier

There are like 30 files like this, and they are in a folder called "Notes", but every time I try to empty them, I get the message that they are in use, although everything is closed except finder. I've tried to rename the files, but then I get the error code -43. The folder itself can be renamed, but that doesn't help. When I try to move the files to another folder or drive, again: error code -43. Can someone help? It's really annoying, it's been like this for the last 3 months and I cannot do anything about it. Thanks in advance.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 9, 2014 6:30 AM

6 replies

Dec 9, 2014 3:31 PM in response to zarandok33

This procedure may save you from having to erase the volume, if you're comfortable with the shell.

In a Terminal window, enter "mv " (without the quotes, but with the trailing space.) Drag one of the files you can't delete or rename into the window. The path to the file will be entered automatically. Backspace until the slash has been removed from the name, then add an asterisk (*). Type a space, then type "foo". Press return. The file should be renamed to "foo". Try to empty the Trash. If that file is deleted, repeat with the others.

Dec 14, 2014 8:20 AM in response to zarandok33

Start up in Recovery mode, launch Disk Utility, select the startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name), and run Repair Disk (not Repair Permissions.) If any problems are found, repeat. Then restart as usual.

If you don't already have a current backup, you must back up your data before you take the above step. You may be able to back up, even if the system isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

Directory corruption in a MacOS journaled volume is always the result of a drive malfunction. It's not caused by power failures, system crashes, or anything else. You might choose to tolerate such a malfunction once in the life of a drive. If it's repeated, the drive must be replaced, or there is some other hardware fault that needs to be corrected. Ignoring repeated directory errors will result in data loss.

Can't empty trash, error code -43

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.