Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error 36 SMB share Yosemite

Hi there!

Having a bit of a problem with Yosemite SMB sharing. Yosemite has solved hanging AFP shares and numerous other issues for our file server but now we have encountered another issue and that is error 36.

We have a Mac Mini running Yosemite 10.10.1 and have a RAID 10 array connected via thunderbolt. When we transfer data to the array from a computer on our network we encounter an error 36 but only in Finder, Path Finder by cocoa tech doesn't have any problems with transferring files. The odd thing is, when the error 36 pops up and says it can't write the data it still copies the file across anyway...

I've turned off SMB and defaulted to AFP but immediately we encountered the dreaded beachball again so switched SMB sharing back on.

Is there anything we can do to stop this happening?

Cheers!

Posted on Dec 9, 2014 8:09 AM

13 replies

Dec 23, 2014 6:32 AM in response to Logsi

FYI: I have also no problems when connecting to AFP.

On my thunderbolt disk I have 3 folders that I share, and only have this SMB problems on one of the shares. I have also experienced that the permissions on this share is a bit different down in the root, so I think this issue we both got could be a permission problem.

Please post if you find out more about this issue and I will do the same. Happy Christmas!

Jan 8, 2015 3:41 AM in response to BoxOslo

I've just done some testing on a test server i have set up and I could replicate the same problems on this with a carbon copy cloned drive. This is a USB3 LaCie drive.

I had a play with permissions and propagated the permissions and it's solved the error 36 issue. I have updated this server to 10.10.2 Beta. Not sure if this has any relevance though.

Now, i wait until everyone is off to do it to the main server!

Mar 11, 2015 12:56 PM in response to Logsi

Same problem, Mac Mini, OS10.10.2, Promise RAID array for files, thunderbolt connection. However the problem emerged when the clients were updated to Yosemite, thought it would go away when I upgraded the server to Yosemite. Also same problem trying to copy files from client to client over the network. Terrible problem, has anyone found a solution?

Mar 16, 2015 4:52 AM in response to Logsi

Has anyone tried the fix i posted above?

You have to reset and strip the permissions via terminal and then apply them again via the Server App. If you change permissions via the Server App in the first instance it's additive and just adds new permissions to the old one. I'm trying to find a thread with how to reset and strip permissions entirely.

This is what i did and no longer have the error 36.

May 26, 2015 2:19 PM in response to Nielsvk

Interesting. I have been doing research on this -36 error and this thread seems the closest to my problem as well.

My environment is a 10.10 mac that is trying to copy files to a windows 2012 fileserver. Its interesting that you are getting this error on an OSX fileserver too! i figured it must be a windows setting on my server

the problem only exists in finder. if i use freefilesync for the mac the folder copies fine. Its gotta be a finder bug! This is with SMB.

i think this bug affects all my mac users though, as they often complain of network file errors to the server. So it would be great if apple could fix finder or find the cause of it.

I will continue looking, just to let you know, error -36 is also happening for me on a windows server. The only fix i have seen so far is revert to smb1 which is not possible in our environment.

Jul 2, 2015 1:00 AM in response to Logsi

Bump

Same issues as above, you can even test this within a non server environment, just using the built in Apple Sharing options and only using SMB for the share and connect using Finder.

It seems to only occur if there are thumbs.db files that have been created by Windows PC connecting to the same share.

Also the SMB connection can be incredibly slow at navigating directories, compared to using AFP.

Wish there was an option to just use AFP within Finder on 10.9 / 10.10

Error 36 SMB share Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.