Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

285 GTX Mac Edition and Mac Pro 5.1

Hello, I have some doubt about the video card 285 GTX Mac Edition.

It's from my old Mac Pro 3.1, but actually, when I plug it, my mac pro 5.1 won't start.

I'm not sure if the video card is just died or not. I can't try on my old mac pro 3.1 because it has some problem on the motherboard.

ty !

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Mac Pro 3.1

Posted on Dec 9, 2014 12:27 PM

10 replies

Dec 9, 2014 2:18 PM in response to Flo Doria

Reset the SMC.

What other cards are or were present?

Some tests of that card in a 5,1 even can be seen here:

http://barefeats.com/mtlion.html

You should of course for many reasons be using 10.8.5+ or later.

Anything OS X that are 5,1 can run (10.6.5+) is going to have native support for Mac EVGA edition 285.

The 285 might even be considered old or out of date to some extent today.

I assume since you used it before that you have the proper aux cables connected.

Maybe the issue with your 3,1 was this card and not the motherboard?

Feb 28, 2015 6:22 PM in response to Flo Doria

Flo Doria, did you ever get any resolution on this? I have the same issue. It started a month or two back. I had to put the original GT 120 card back in to start the computer up. I thought maybe it was the NVIDIA driver, so I went ahead and updated that today, to a compressed air blast to the GTX 285 (official Mac edition) and put it back in. But the same result. A click sound and nothing else. Both the aux power cables were plugged in. This card has been in the Mac for about 5 years before stopping working in January.

Any ideas are welcomed!

Thanks.

Feb 28, 2015 7:29 PM in response to JeffinNYC

JeffinNYC-

The drivers cannot influence anything until they are loaded, and that does not happen until long after the chime, the gray Apple appears on the screen, and the spinner starts. And it does not happen in Safe Mode at all.

You appear to have a Hardware problem, and if your Mac chimes and boots with the card removed, the graphics card that is the Hardware causing the problem.

285 GTX Mac Edition and Mac Pro 5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.