Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What to do when a Mac owner dies?

I have inherited a 15" 2010 MacBook Pro from a deceased family member.

Obviously no passwords etc are available but I'd hate it to go to waste.

What are my options please ?

David

MacBook owner already

MacBook Pro 15" 2010 model

Posted on Dec 9, 2014 5:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2014 5:55 PM

Did it come with the original OEM OS disk? Is the MBP's optical drive working? If yes to both, you have a couple of options. You can boot from the install disk to reset the password:

Mac OS X 10.6: If you forget your administrator password

You could also boot from the system disk, reformat the HD, and then re-install an OS. If you have no OEM disks, you could try this:

https://gigaom.com/2008/06/22/reset-os-x-password-without-an-os-x-cd/

Another approach would be to buy a new 2.5" hard drive kit such as this one from OWC: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/2.5-Notebook/SATA/DIY/

You can look at the videos at OWC to see if you would be comfortable opening the the MBP, removing the old drive, and installing the new drive. That way you could keep your family member's HD intact in the inexpensive little external enclosure and start fresh with a new HD in the MBP.

If you already have a MacBook, you presumably have access to more recent versions of the OS. If you haven't saved the OS installer apps for them, chances are you can still re-download them, save them without installing again, and use Diskmaker X (http://liondiskmaker.com/) to create a copy of an OS installer app on a flash drive. You could then use that flash drive to install Lion or newer on the 2010 MBP. It would be a good backup for use with your own laptop, too.

Last but certainly not least, please accept my condolences.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2014 5:55 PM in response to David Halfpenny

Did it come with the original OEM OS disk? Is the MBP's optical drive working? If yes to both, you have a couple of options. You can boot from the install disk to reset the password:

Mac OS X 10.6: If you forget your administrator password

You could also boot from the system disk, reformat the HD, and then re-install an OS. If you have no OEM disks, you could try this:

https://gigaom.com/2008/06/22/reset-os-x-password-without-an-os-x-cd/

Another approach would be to buy a new 2.5" hard drive kit such as this one from OWC: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/2.5-Notebook/SATA/DIY/

You can look at the videos at OWC to see if you would be comfortable opening the the MBP, removing the old drive, and installing the new drive. That way you could keep your family member's HD intact in the inexpensive little external enclosure and start fresh with a new HD in the MBP.

If you already have a MacBook, you presumably have access to more recent versions of the OS. If you haven't saved the OS installer apps for them, chances are you can still re-download them, save them without installing again, and use Diskmaker X (http://liondiskmaker.com/) to create a copy of an OS installer app on a flash drive. You could then use that flash drive to install Lion or newer on the 2010 MBP. It would be a good backup for use with your own laptop, too.

Last but certainly not least, please accept my condolences.

Dec 9, 2014 6:15 PM in response to David Halfpenny

Recently saw blurb on I think CBS this morning on things to do with a computer when the owner passes away.

Did you look for a hidden list of passwords and accounts? There may be things on the lap top that still have to be dealt - or, as the presenter found, there were some things that could be redeemed.

Also, if the person was using their own device for work or for duties as a secretary for an organization -- those people may want to get the information - but are reluctant to ask for it.

So best bet restore the admin password and see whats on the system.

Dec 9, 2014 8:43 PM in response to kahjot

Thanks a lot for your condolences and your speedy and informative reply.

At the moment all I have is the bare 'silver slab' with a flat battery and not even a charger.

My relative had recently moved house so his stuff is scattered about and some has been lost.

You've given me valuable clues about what to search for / ask his family about when the grief has eased.

David

Dec 9, 2014 9:10 PM in response to notcloudy

The points you make are really valid.

The household had a number of Macs and my relatives's widow doesn't recognise this particular machine, so we have no idea what data are on it, or to whom they may be important. I know my relative had online businesses, so I think my first priority should be to read / copy the disk.

(Unfortunately as it turns out, he was scrupulous about security to the point of wiping his browser cache after every session.)

After that - or failing that - I'd hope to offer his widow (a seasoned MacBook user who doesn't have one right now) this machine as a 'fresh start' system with Yosemite installed on a 'squeaky clean' HDD.

Or, if she prefers, offer to buy it from her as a tabletop workhorse for myself (I love my go-anywhere 13" Retina, but its tiny SSD frustrates me at every turn).

The Forum is telling me I've now used up my allocation of 'Helpful Answer' replies, so if others add to this thread I may not be offer specific thanks.

May I thank all future contributors in advance for your kindness to a stranger at a difficult time?

David

Dec 11, 2014 3:14 PM in response to David Halfpenny

Accept my condolences too.

Once you get to a state where it has power you can either clone the disk or remove & replace the HD/ SSD as others have stated. Target Disk mode is helpful if you have another Mac & the required cables.

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support

As to the data & user accounts here is how OS X handles it by default…

The user account password can be reset in recovery mode. Then you can login as that user.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/08/24/reset-mac-os-x-10-7-lion-password/

The keychain saves the users passwords using this default account password but it is not reset when the account password is changed, you need to find the original password to access the passwords. You can however read the locations & usernames of keychain items, so it could help with account resets assuming you can control the associated email accounts. Keychain Access shows the keychain items.

It's possible that FileVault is enabled in which case you cannot decrypt the disk without the password or the master file vault password. I think this password could have been saved in iCloud, the setup offers for Apple to back up this critical piece of info. You would need access to the Apple ID.

File Vault encryption also prevents the account passwords being reset.

There may also be a firmware password, this will prevent any startup key combinations, so you cannot boot from other disks etc.

It really depends on how conservative the user was, good luck with it & let us know if you get anywhere.

What to do when a Mac owner dies?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.