Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

160GB iPod Classic keeps bricking.

In 2011, my iPod Classic kept bricking, so I had it replaced under warranty 5 times. After a lot of consultation with fellow technicians, it turned out to be a software issue. At the time, I was running Mac 10.7.5. I reverted to a clean install of 10.6.8, rebuilt my iTunes Library and the the iPod synced normally again.

Then OS 10.8 Mountain Lion was released. I installed it and guess what: the iPod classic would brick when syncing to the latest iTunes at the time. I reverted to a clean install of 10.6.8, rebuilt my iTunes Library and the the iPod synced normally again.

Then OS 10.9 Mavericks was released. I installed it and the iTunes updates. My iPod classic agreed with it and it never bricked.

Now I've installed OS 10.10 Yosemite. It doesn't quite brick my iPod classic, but to doesn't sync properly. iTunes says my iPod has 32,000 songs on it:

User uploaded file

But according to my iPod, those files aren't songs:

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

I've run surface scans on the iPod, countless restores on it, resynced it numerous times! I'm at my wits end. Why does it only sync properly with Snow Leopard and Mavericks?

iPod classic

Posted on Dec 9, 2014 9:42 PM

3 replies

Dec 10, 2014 8:16 AM in response to roostermark

Your third screenshot shows 132Gb of Other, not music. Look at the colour of the capacity bar on the iPod, it's orange, indicating Other. (Yes, I realise that orange in iTunes is audio, but for some strange reason, on the iPod Classic, Audio is blue, while orange indicates Other.)

Other includes files that the iPod cannot read.

The only thing I can think is that you are not disconnecting the iPod from iTunes correctly. Are you using the eject icon (ringed in my screenshot) to safely disconnect the iPod from iTunes? You should do that before unplugging the iPod.

User uploaded file

160GB iPod Classic keeps bricking.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.