Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard Backlight Not Working

Well, after my keyboard backlight going out, and me looking for multiple solutions, I've found multiple solutions on the internet that include deleting the com.apple.iokit.AmbientLightSensor.plist file from the Library file. My issue is, I'm actually missing this file from my Macbook pro, which leads me to believe that this is the main reason that my backlight isn't working. Is there anywhere I can find this file, or any reason why I'm missing this?

Just to add in, I have a corrupt Hard Drive, and plan on fixing it soon. Could that have anything to do with it?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Dec 9, 2014 8:53 PM

1 reply

Dec 11, 2014 7:42 AM in response to Backspace3314

Hey Backspace3314,

If you are having an issue with your MacBook Pro's keyboard backlight not functioning as it should, I would suggest that you reset the computer's System Management Controller. See this article -

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) - Apple Support

Specifically -

Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own

Note: Portable computers that have a battery you should not remove on your own include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and MacBook (Late 2009).

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Be well,

Brett L

Keyboard Backlight Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.