Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto library not opening anymore

Hi all,

seems like I am having similar issues with iPhoto as others have

Problem statement: I have 3 iPhoto libraries stored on my time capsule as an external drive (my book does not have enough storage). I always opened them from the time capsule and never faced an issue (except that it is very slow). I upgraded the operations system to Yosamety and it all works for a couple of days. However, since a week, my main library can't be opened anymore. Neither in iPhoto nor in Aperture. I am always getting a message, that I need to upgrade the library first. I checked and it is upgraded. A window opens talking about some examinations done and eventually closes and nothing has happened.

What did I try so far: I deleted the iPhoto app and re-installed (three times), but nothing changes. I also tried to ignore iPhoto and only have Aperture installed, but that does not work either. I tried a 'suffix' solution that I read on here, but it did not work.

Except of my main library, the others do still open from my external drive...

The only solution I now see is to create a new library and import everything again!! That would take days!!

My question:

1. Is there a solution to this with iPhoto?

2. Can I throw iPhoto out of the window and only use Aperture (even though I would have to re-create everything)? My masters are fortunately still all there.

Thanks for your comments

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Latest version of iPhoto

Posted on Dec 10, 2014 1:19 AM

8 replies

Dec 10, 2014 4:15 AM in response to lrupar

Wired or wireless connection?

That needs to be a wired connection and I would guess that the Library is corrupted.

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

Dec 10, 2014 5:15 AM in response to lrupar

I am always getting a message, that I need to upgrade the library first. I checked and it is upgraded.

What is the exact error message? Typically the error message will state, if iPhoto is treating the library as an Aperture library or as an iPhoto Library, and which application should be used to upgrade the library. It would be important to know if the library i recognized as an Aperture or iPhoto library.

What doe the "File> Get Info" window show, if you select the library and use the command "File > Get Info"? Does it say "Kind > Aperture Library" or "Kind > iPhoto Library"? What version number does it show? And which filename extension are you using?

I have a wireless connection to it.

That is risky. An Aperture library or an iPhoto Library should be on a locally connected volume. You are risking library corruption and dataloss this way. Keep a rigid backup scheme with more than one backup, if you are risking your photo libraries on a network volume. How are you backing the libraries up, if they are stored on your Time Machine drive?

Use locally mounted Mac OS X Extended volumes for your Aperture library

Dec 14, 2014 7:53 AM in response to léonie

Hi Terence and Leonie,

The error message is the following:

User uploaded file

Regarding your options after having connected to my time capsule with a wire (LAN cable):

Option 1 with repair did not work. After I clicked on it, the screen with the request to upgrade started again and ended up nowhere. It stops after this (after about 20min of the wheel going round and round):

User uploaded file

Option 1 with rebuild did not work either... Exactly the same as above happened

Option 2 with iPhoto Library Manager did also not work...:

User uploaded file

My god... this is really poor... All these years, Apple war so good and now simple things like this don't work anymore. Very disappointing.

If no better idea, I will go ahead and re-import thousands of pics now.

Thanks for your help so far!

Dec 14, 2014 9:20 AM in response to lrupar

Your problem is that you're using a wirless connection to a network loctaion - both are problematic and unsupported.

So, not enough to use the LAN, you need to have the library on your internal drive or an drive directly connected to the Mac - a USB or Thunderbolt - and formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

iPhoto library not opening anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.