Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 touchscreen unresponsive

The touch screen on my iPhone 6 randomly becomes unresponsive. The home button and all the other buttons work, just not the touch screen.

It has happened about 20-30 times already since yesterday morning. It either gets stuck for 10-20 seconds or does not respond until I turn it off and on. Even after shutting it down and turning it back on it still occurs randomly. I've tried restoring it and it still happens.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Dec 10, 2014 3:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2014 9:02 AM

I have the exact same problem. Brand new 6+ that I got yesterday.

It's like I'm trying to use the touchscreen with a wet hand after getting out of the shower - the keyboard becomes horribly unresponsive and texting is a nightmare.

Buttons work, hitting sleep and then opening phone fixes it for a short while and I can text normally.

Extremely disappointed

Did the reset settings thing and all that crap too.

edit: It's borderline unusable crap. Open an app that requires text input, suddenly random inputs that I'm not doing start happening, it's unbelievable that this made it past any form of QA/QC

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2014 9:02 AM in response to bjanker77

I have the exact same problem. Brand new 6+ that I got yesterday.

It's like I'm trying to use the touchscreen with a wet hand after getting out of the shower - the keyboard becomes horribly unresponsive and texting is a nightmare.

Buttons work, hitting sleep and then opening phone fixes it for a short while and I can text normally.

Extremely disappointed

Did the reset settings thing and all that crap too.

edit: It's borderline unusable crap. Open an app that requires text input, suddenly random inputs that I'm not doing start happening, it's unbelievable that this made it past any form of QA/QC

Dec 26, 2014 7:58 PM in response to merkmerk73

iphone 6+ touch screen erratic behavior. the main issue started this week, it comes and goes, and starts with inability to even swipe the unlock slider, and which mimics that of trying to use phone with a wet hand. when tying who knows what will actually happen, app in use closes, opens, you end up on a different message while trying to respond to someones text. clearly my inputs are not at all related to what the phone thinks is being pushed. have done partial, settings, and a full restore and issues came back 2 days later. deleted flesky and any apps installed in the last 30 days and the issues persist. case on or off, factory charger and cables, zero moisture exposure all irrelevant to this issue manifesting itself.

at this point i am thinking hardware and only because behavior of touch screen has been marginally flakey the last 6-8 weeks prior, i thought it might be certain apps, but certain areas of the touch screen seemed unresponsive especially near the center. those issues too intermittent, and because they were minor, i wrote them off to the apps themselves, or perhaps some bug in iOS8 that would be fixed in an update.

so it seems likely the earlier issues were real and related to the phone and not too specific apps. whatever it is it needs to be addressed immediately by apple as it is clear my issues are not isolated. i do not have hours to spend at some genius bar trying to prove an intermittent issue exists.

apple, what is your response?

james

Jan 2, 2015 1:18 PM in response to bjanker77

Hello,

Seems i am not alone then.

iPhone 6 purchased 24/12/2014. 31/12/2014 Touchscreen 100% unresponsive, will not even swipe. Handset has hardly a fingerprint on it. Restored to factory defaults but that did not fix it.

Took to Apple store Covent Garden today who diagnosed a hardware fault (no kidding) but the Genius refused to help because it was purchased from Vodafone so 'legally' nothing to do with Apple. So I have to go to Vodafone for a repair tomorrow. Not impressed with Apple. Expected better than SIM card racism, especially when an Apple chat advisor setup the Genius appointment in the first place and said they would replace at store.

In the end the Advisor didn't even set the appointment up properly as Apple Store Covent Garden said Apple care had made no such appointment for me (18:30 today.)

Just got back after being humiliated in store, setup another chat and was told it's store discretion as to whether they would replace it in store or not. So basically don't go to Apple Covent Garden if you are with Vodafone.

I think Apple are disgusting.

Jan 2, 2015 2:10 PM in response to bjanker77

An update for my case:

I was in touch with Apple support here in Norway, and they suggested a factory reset in iTunes without restoring the backup.

It worked fine for 3-4 hours, until I restored my backup. Then it acted up again.

So now I've received a replacement iPhone 6 while mine is being fixed.

I guess I get it back in a couple of weeks.

My guess is that I get a brand new handset.

Regards,

Bjarne

May 18, 2015 10:53 AM in response to bjanker77

I have this issue too, I will be going to the Apple Store for repair I guess. Some information for any one else with this problem. instead of doing a hard reset when the touch screen becomes unresponsive, while the lock screen is up turn the phone perpendicular to the ground with the ear piece pointed down and shimmy the phone. touch screen should be responsive again.

Sep 8, 2015 5:53 PM in response to bjanker77

Same issue here. Have had the phone for 10 months. In the last few days the touch screen works intermittently. I can only tap 5 to 10 times and then it freezes. All other buttons work. Even Siri works. Then anywhere from 10 seconds to 3 minutes later some taps that I did work and random things start happening like I have been tapping all over the screen. Will take it to the Apple Store I think. Frustrating though!!!

iPhone 6 touchscreen unresponsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.