Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto/Aperture 1.5 Integration questions

Aperture 1.5 allows you to keep iPhoto pictures where they are with a "reference" from Aperture.

But since I upgraded to Aperture 1.5, I have the opposite problem -- how do I keep my pictures in Aperture but have iPhoto reference them? With previous versions of Aperture I already copied in all my iPhoto pictures and subsequently got rid of my iPhoto library (to save space).

However, I would like to use iPhoto for its better Slideshow capabilities and FrontRow integration.

So here are some questions:
[1] Should I just set preference in iPhoto to not "Copy files to iPhoto Library Folder" and import the entire Aperture library?
[2] Will it copy the albums from Aperture intact?
[3] How much additional disk space (if any) will this use up?
[4] What is the signifcance of setting up previews in Aperture (which I have done)?
[5] In iPhoto I see that there is File>Show Aperture Library... where I can see thumbnails of my Aperture pictures. What else is this used for? (i.e. can I import pictures using this feature?)
[6] If, subsequent to import, I add to the Aperture libary, will that automatically synchronize with the iPhoto library, or do I have to iPhoto-import the entire Aperture library every time new photos are added to the Aperture library?

iMac 17 1.25 GHz; iMac 20 Intel Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Oct 1, 2006 8:26 PM

10 replies

Oct 1, 2006 9:30 PM in response to Sanjaya Kumar

[1] Should I just set preference in iPhoto to
not "Copy files to iPhoto Library Folder" and
import the entire Aperture library?
[2] Will it copy the albums from Aperture intact?

This will work if your Aperture library's masters are stored by reference. However, it will only copy the masters, not an album structure. It won't copy your adjustments either. Just the masters.

[3] How much additional disk space (if any) will this
use up?

iPhoto will build JPEGs for each master image, so you will use some disk space.

[4] What is the signifcance of setting up previews in
Aperture (which I have done)?

Previews will allow you to browse your Aperture library in iPhoto. You can decide what images are made available to iPhoto. These are the versions, not the masters, so adjustments made in Aperture will be seen by iPhoto (as opposed to importing the masters).

[5] In iPhoto I see that there is File>Show Aperture
Library... where I can see thumbnails of my Aperture
pictures. What else is this used for? (i.e. can I
import pictures using this feature?)

You can drag images from that window into iPhoto, which will import the JPEG previews so you can use them in slideshows, etc.

[6] If, subsequent to import, I add to the Aperture
libary, will that automatically synchronize with the
iPhoto library, or do I have to iPhoto-import the
entire Aperture library every time new photos are
added to the Aperture library?

There isn't any automatic synchronization, but I think the following is a good approach:

1) When importing your masters into Aperture, don't have Aperture copy them from the CF card into the library. Instead give it a folder to copy them to. In addition, specify a sub folder that is "Project Name". By doing that, your import will be separate from other imports.
2) Make sure iPhoto is set to reference images not copy them into the library.
3) Then, when you want to synchronize with iPhoto, just drag the directories containing the projects that you want synchronized directly to iPhoto.

--SLS

Oct 2, 2006 7:10 AM in response to SLS

SLS, thanks for the detailed response!

Basically what I am going to do is go to File>Show Aperture Library... in iPhoto and drag all the previews of my Aperture library into iPhoto.

This way, I get the edited versions (cropped, color corrected etc.) but low-res, but that should be OK since in iPhoto I intend to use them only for Slideshow/FrontRow.

Also, since it is not synchronized, when I add new albums to Aperture, I'll drag them into iPhoto individually.

Oct 2, 2006 9:30 AM in response to Jeffrey Osterman

How do I browse my Aperture library in iPhoto? I'm
using iPhoto 6.0.5 and Aperture 1.5 and don't see how
to do it. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Aperture libraries show up in the media browser in
iWeb and other iLife applications; just not in iPhoto.

If you go to File>Show Aperture Library ... (in iPhoto) you'll be able to see thumbnails of all your Aperture pictures. You need to turn on previews in Aperture Preferences prior to this.

Then if you want to see full sized pictures (instead of just thumbnails) in iPhoto, drag the Aperture library/project/album into iPhoto.

iMac 17 1.25 GHz; iMac 20 Intel Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Oct 2, 2006 10:25 PM in response to simonblackledge

Then if you want to see full sized pictures (instead

of just thumbnails) in >iPhoto, drag the Aperture
library/project/album into iPhoto.

if you do this and tell iPhoto not to import in the
prefs I take it this reads from the aperture library
all the time.. and updates if you change masters?

does this import stacks/versions?

It imports the preview versions of the photos in Aperture. In case of stacks, it picks just the top picture of a stack.

However, iPhoto doesn't seem to be referencing (despite the "do not import" setting) the Aperture previews. I can see the size of the iPhoto library increase
each time I drag a new album from Aperture to iPhoto.

Now I have 3 versions of each photo -- the Aperture master, the Aperture preview and the iPhoto jpeg lo-res version.

iMac 17 1.25 GHz; iMac 20 Intel Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Oct 3, 2006 12:30 AM in response to Sanjaya Kumar

I'm curious about doing the opposite. I've imported my iPhoto library, but letting Aperture reference back to the images in the iPhoto library.

My question is... how do I update the aperture library when new additions have been made to the iPhoto library? It doesn't seem to happen automatically and reimporting the iPhoto library doesn't seem to be the answer (but perhaps I'm wrong). Any suggestions?

M

Oct 3, 2006 6:35 AM in response to Matthew Hickey1

I'm trying to figure out this workflow myself - I'm not ready to totally ditch my 5 year old iphoto library until I'm sure I really want to go with Aperture for everything (yes I'm one of those over-researching analytical types)

What I'm going to look into is an automator action that takes the images from the "Last Roll" album in photo and imports the reference to them in Aperture. this means I would have to remember to do this each time I import. Would be nice if it could do an "if does not exist in aperture library" type of thing.

I keep checking this forum every day hoping someone discovers a better solution.

I'm curious about doing the opposite. I've imported
my iPhoto library, but letting Aperture reference
back to the images in the iPhoto library.

My question is... how do I update the aperture
library when new additions have been made to the
iPhoto library? It doesn't seem to happen
automatically and reimporting the iPhoto library
doesn't seem to be the answer (but perhaps I'm
wrong). Any suggestions?

M

Oct 3, 2006 7:44 AM in response to Scott Dunkle

I'm not ready to ditch my iPhoto library either - but I'm doing it the other way around. Aperture is a wonderful import point. It lets me browse, select, tag, stack etc. images BEFORE they take up precious hard disk space. Once imported I can adjust, publish, and share with iLife (via drag and drop previews which I create as needed).

I won't be storing or viewing images in Aperture - instead I'll be using it as the tool to do everything else.

iPhoto/Aperture 1.5 Integration questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.