Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch won't sync, false "this cable or accessory is not certified" and several other errors

Helping my dad long-distance with his iPod Touch 5th generation, running 8.1.1.

He's having several problems trying to sync the thing:

1) "This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with your iPod" error, even though he's using the cable that came with the device, when connecting to his Mac. (This happens with both certified Apple cables he owns.)

1.1) He's unable to take screenshots of this error, even though he can take screenshots of any other screen.

2) Won't charge when connected to his Mac (does charge when connected to his 5w cube).

3) Connecting to Mac dones't launch iTunes, but does launch iPhoto.

4) Sometimes, even after launching iTunes manually, the iPod doesn't show up.

5) We we can get the iPod and iTunes to talk to each other, he gets 7/8ths through syncing, then gets the error "Some of the videos in your iTunes Library, including the video IMG0925.jpg, were not copied to the iPod because they cannot be played on this iPod." — yes, the "videos" that won't "play" on his iPod are all JPEGs.

6) When clicking [OK] to clear problem #5, it's always followed by "iTunes cannot back up the iPod (device name) because an error occurred." Even though it was 7/8ths done before the error occurred.

7) Issue 5 and 6 occur when connected to the Mac over wifi too. (We've tried with wifi backup both off and on.)

7) He's randomly prompted for his iCloud password at least 3-4 times a week. Entering it doesn't make this problem go away.

8) Tried to update to 8.1.2 (hoping it would fix some of these issues), but after tapping [Agree] in the overlay screen, he's taken back to the T&C screen with [Decline] and [Agree] buttons at the bottom, and NOTHING happens.

So we he back up via any means, he can't upgrade, and we can't wipe and restore because he'll lose a month's worth of updates to calendar and address book.

I'm know my way around Mac and iOS, and I'm stumped. Anybody got anything?

Posted on Dec 10, 2014 12:11 PM

4 replies

Dec 10, 2014 12:52 PM in response to 100 Watt Walrus

- Try another cable. The cable for 5G iPod (lightning connector) seems to be more prone to failure than the older cable.

- If a 5G iPod

Iphone 5 lightning port charging problem - SOLUTION!

- Inspect the dock connector on the iPod for bent or missing contacts, foreign material, corroded contacts, broken, missing or cracked plastic.

- Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

#1.1 n/a because the errror message overrides it

#2 see #1

#3 iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Mac OS X

But could be caused by #1

#4 Covered by previous ones

#5 Obvious jpegs are photos and thus will not sync as videos. Also see:

iTunes: May be unable to transfer videos to iPhone, iPad, or iPod

iTunes: Frequently asked questions about viewing and syncing videos

#6 iOS: If you can't back up or restore from a backup in iTunes

First #7 See #6

Second #7 You have so many other problems resolve those first

#8 Resolve other problems first

Dec 10, 2014 1:19 PM in response to lllaass

lllaass you're always Johnny-on-the-spot. Thanks for the tips. I'll see what I can do with them, however...

- He's already tried two cables. I guess he can buy a third, but with the obscene amount of money Apple charges for those, it seems like money wasted.

- The nearest Apple Store is over 350 miles away.

- Also while the link about the charging problem has some good information, we know the connection isn't the problem because the cord is recognized, it's just that the iPod refused to acknowledge that it's Apple equipment, and it won't charge when connected to the computer, but will charge when connected to the 5w.

iPod Touch won't sync, false "this cable or accessory is not certified" and several other errors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.