Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are real world recommend requirements for logic pro x

Hello,

I am new to this so this is what my MacBook Pro has in it:

Processor Name: Intel Core i5 CPU 4288U Processor Model: HaswellProcessor Speed: 2.6 GHz

Number of Processors: 1 Total Number of Cores: 2

Memory Size: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Model: Intel Iris 1536 MB

Is this system going to freeze up when recording multiple tracks at once? Is the processor good enough? I am using a Behringer X32 with Logic Pro X, I also have Pro Tools. I like that I can run logic in my mac and not have to use windows & pro tools w/ boot camp. When I say multiple tracks I am considering a full band with drums mic's, keyboard, rhythm guitar, bass... you know standard base tracks first. I have the money to upgrade to a better setup if need be and I am willing if that is necessary. I have not had the chance to use this MacBook Pro with Logic Pro X to record a session yet. Any thoughts??

Oh! this system maybe gifted to me, so I wanted to know before excepting it.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Dec 10, 2014 12:33 PM

20 replies

Dec 10, 2014 12:47 PM in response to Kappy

Yes, I have read this. However base system requirements are not RECOMMENDED requirements. Lots of systems can run software but it may run sluggish . I have grown weary of base system requirements. I want to know... under a load (so to speak) what is needed to run Logic Pro X without (error) messages, like not enough memory or processor to slow etc. etc.

Dec 10, 2014 12:58 PM in response to snowdog1016

Apple does not provide any more information than you have. Most likely there are far too many configurations to evaluate. Minimum means they will work to do all those things things also provided with the spec sheet. The rest you discover during usage - add more RAM. How slow a CPU is depends on how big a hurry you are in.

Dec 10, 2014 1:48 PM in response to snowdog1016

There's no real guarantee what kind of performance you will get as a lot of it has to do with how well you know and use the program. Logic has the capability to bring down the fasted Mac Pro available in a matter of minutes, otoh, it has the capability to produce serious work on your computer but you would have to be thoughtful in your used of plugins and virtual instruments. Logic does better, (especially with plugins and virtual instruments) with more cores so a 2-core machine is a definite limitation you will have to deal with. It also depends on the kind of music you're going to be creating and/or working with. If you're going to record an acoustic jazz quartet using good mics and a pro audio interface then your machine would be fine.. if it's another style that requires lot's of plugins and virtual instruments then yes, you will see some problems/limitations.

Also, you would want to stick with Mavericks as Logic and Yosemite are not playing well together at this time.

Dec 10, 2014 1:50 PM in response to snowdog1016

Hi

Whilst the Mac itself should be fine for recording a few audio tracks, you need to consider the hard drive speed. Generally it is not recommended to record to the System drive ( unless it is an SSD).

Processor speed becomes a factor if you want to use many FX plugins and/or Software instruments.

RAM becomes a factor (very) generally with sample-playing Instrument plugins

CCT

Dec 11, 2014 4:58 AM in response to Pancenter

Pancenter,

Thanks for your help I appreciate it. I have not used a forum before this was cool to get replies so quickly. I think after talking it over with the wife, I am going to purchase one of these two. Which do you think would be best?

Mac Pro

Hardware

• 3.7GHz quad-core with 10MB of L3 cache
  • 32GB (4x8GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
  • 1TB PCIe-based flash storage
  • Dual AMD FirePro D300 GPUs with 2GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

27 inch iMac with 5K Retina Display

Hardware

• 4.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
  • 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x8GB
  • 1TB Flash Storage
  • AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5

Dec 11, 2014 5:51 PM in response to Pancenter

My 'tuppence' worth......

Personally, given the issues reported widely with Retina based screens and Logic Pro/Yosemite performance related issues at the moment, I wouldn't go for the newer iMacs at this time....

The Mac Pro I recently "borrowed' to do some testing on.... Was quite the beast and worked very well with Logic Pro.

Note: This model was the 3.0GHz 8-core , 32GB 1TB with Dual D700....

However it was running under Mavericks 10.9.4 and not Yosemite.... and it's owner had been advised not to update to Yosemite "just yet' because of similar performance related issues present in Yosemite generally speaking and FCPX which is what he primarily purchased it for.

What are real world recommend requirements for logic pro x

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.