Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipone 5s dead after installing 8.1.2

Well, now i have no iphone.

i was sick and tired about ringtone disappearance in 8.1.1 and i updated my iPhone usind wifi to 8.1.2.

it has updated, it restarted. but it did not turn on.

i Connected it ti my pc and started itunes.

itunes offered to restore factory settings on iPhon.

" for what sake do i have to lose all my data?" I thoght.

but there was no other way, i agreed.

itunes sent error N39 and that is the end. Iphone is off. Itunes does not restore it.

what is happening?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.2, Iphone turned into a brick

Posted on Dec 10, 2014 1:14 PM

8 replies

Dec 10, 2014 1:36 PM in response to михаилfromspb

Review the info on this Apple support page:

Resolve iOS update and restore errors in iTunes - Apple Support

If that doesn't help then put your phone into recovery mode and try to restore it that way. Here's how:

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Once you have the phone restored or recovered you can replace all apps and data. The apps can be downloaded from the app store again at no charge as long as you are using the same Apple ID that you used to download the apps originally. You can recover your data from a recent backup. If you do not have a backup this is a good lesson as to why a regular backup routine for any computer like device is a good idea.

Dec 10, 2014 1:48 PM in response to Ralph9430

NOw there's no problem with my data or a backup. I have automatic icloud backup made yesterday. But the prodlem is that i can not reach my ios anyway. The phone does not show anything except connect to itunes screen, itunes does not recognise the device. Itunes is actual. Device was not jailbreaked or unlocked. A new officially sold iphone 5s

Dec 10, 2014 1:49 PM in response to михаилfromspb

There is no error 39 listed in this article: Resolve iOS update and restore errors

The closest you can get is 37 or 40. Nevertheless, try these steps:

Check for hardware issues

Related errors: 1, 3, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 21, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 34, 35, 36, 37, 40, 1000, 1002, 1004, 1011, 1012, 1014, 1667, or 1669.

These errors mean that your device or computer may have a hardware issue that's preventing the update or restore from completing.

1. Check that your security software and settings aren't preventing your device from communicating with the Apple update server.
  2. Then try to restore your iOS device two more times while connected with a cable, computer, and network you know are good.
  3. Confirm that your security software and settings are allowing communication between your device and update servers.
  4. If you still see the error message when you update or restore, contact Apple support.

Dec 11, 2014 2:54 AM in response to михаилfromspb

Well, it took about 3 hours to recover a brick.

It was necessery to wait for itunes pc application until it downloads 8.1.2 distributive.

When download has completed, itunes agreed to restore factory defaults on iphone.

Then iphone turned on.

It takes some time to restore a backup from icloud, only wifi mode is useful, while itunes tells me I have never made such a backup.

Finally, the phone is properly working without data loss.

But that is not fun to spend time resolving troubles that are given by bad programmers.

Really, i thought there are no bad programmers, developing ios. Well, there are some.

Dec 11, 2014 3:48 AM in response to михаилfromspb

It might be a good idea to have more than one backup to go back to. You can use iTunes and iCloud to save your data. Restoring from your computer might be faster if you are connected via USB.

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

Should I use iTunes or iCloud to back up my iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch? - Apple Support

Ipone 5s dead after installing 8.1.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.