Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I updated my iPhone 4S to ios8, I am unable to receive email updates or connect to the internet. My LAN shows the device with a wireless connection, but requesting updates puts it into a continuous loop.

I have an iPhone 4S with 8 Gig memory, 1.1 Gig currently free. I recently converted to ios 8.1.2. Subsequently, the phone has stopped working on my wireless network, neither receiving or sending email, nor connecting to the internet. The router diagram shows that I am connected via WiFi, but when I try either of these functions, I simply get into a continuous loop.

I have already attempted this with and without connection to the iCloud drive, rebooting everything (router, modem, iMac, iPhone). I have one other iPhone (same specs) and an iPad mini, that both work on the network. The iPhone giving me the problems works fine on the Verizon network and on other WiFi networks.

Help, please.

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 10, 2014 2:33 PM

1 reply

Dec 11, 2014 2:57 PM in response to curtq

Hello there, curtq.

Great job troubleshooting your issue so far. The following Knowledge Base article offer some great practical steps for troubleshooting Wi-Fi issues with your iOS device:

iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections - Apple Support

If following the initial troubleshooting steps recommended at the beginning of the article, you may want to then proceed to:

Unable to access the Internet while connected to Wi-Fi

1. If you're using a public or commercial network, you may need to log in or subscribe.
  2. Check to see if you have a self-assigned IP address:
    1. Tap Settings > Wi-Fi and locate the Wi-Fi network to which you're connected and tap User uploaded file.
    2. If your IP address is 169.254.xxx.xxx, you may not be able to access the Internet.
  3. If you do not have a self-assigned IP address, see if other Wi-Fi devices on your network have Internet access.
    • If they do not, consult with your network administrator or ISP for further assistance.
    • If they do, reset network settings on your device by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Note: This will reset all network settings including:
      • previously connected Wi-Fi networks and passwords
      • recently used Bluetooth accessories
      • VPN and APN settings

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

When I updated my iPhone 4S to ios8, I am unable to receive email updates or connect to the internet. My LAN shows the device with a wireless connection, but requesting updates puts it into a continuous loop.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.