Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone is disabled, try again in 1 minute

Yesterday I updated to 8.1.2. Today I received a phone call, and near the end I could hear buzzing of a notification -- two of them. When I hung up the phone (maybe 5-10 seconds later) it had the message "iphone is disabled, try again in 1 minute" (might not be the exact wording/punctuation) and I couldn't use the phone. It did bring me up with the emergency call keypad, but I didn't use it because I needed to get to my contacts or otherwise look up the number I needed to call at that point. After a short time (probably the 1 minute promised in the message) the entry screen for putting in my passcode appeared, and I was able to make my call.

I also had a dropped call earlier in the day, and that person immediately called me back with no problems (might just be a coincidence.)

The phone seems to be fine, but having it turn itself off is quite unnerving. Does anyone have any idea what happened? Does this sound familiar?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 10, 2014 2:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2016 10:03 AM

That answer does not make sense as my phone was already unlocked when I received the call.

Stop blaming bad programming (or a virus) on user error.

11 replies

Dec 12, 2014 6:06 AM in response to cathy fasano

Hi cathy fasano,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

The alert you received happens when the passcode on an iOS device is entered six times in a row.

Forgot passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support

I realize the notification came up in a very short amount of time after the call you were on ended. In this situation, I would first suggest troubleshooting the touch screen. It may be possible that the touch screen thought it was receiving input for your passcode. Please use the attached article for information on troubleshooting touchscreen.

If the screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond to touch - Apple Support

Cheers,

Joe

Dec 12, 2014 7:23 AM in response to AppleJoe

That sounds a really nasty bug if that's what happened -- while I was on the phone, with the screen against my face, the phone put up the passcode screen and then my face touching the surface of the phone was interpreted as failed passcodes. All of this happening while the phone screen was against my face, so neither I nor anyone else looking at the phone could see what was happening.

Timeline:

1) Phone in pocket starts ringing. I take it out, hit the "answer" button, and put the phone up against my face to talk and listen.

2) Phone conversation goes on. While the phone is still off hook, BEFORE the call ends, phone notifies me that it is locked (just a guess as to what the notifications said, of course, since I can't see the phone while it is against my face.)

3) We end our conversation and caller hangs up. AFTER caller hangs up, the "iphone is disabled, try again in 1 minute" notification appears on the screen, and the phone is locked.

Did Apple forget that this handheld computer is also a phone?

Nov 17, 2015 8:07 AM in response to cathy fasano

Guys,

this happens sometimes to me when I hold phone with my left hand. I have the following explanation:

Light indicator placed on left side from speaker. You automatically move your phone in order to get better voice during call especially when you can't hear well the other side. This way light indicator can receive light and can turn on the screen, then your cheek touching screen in random order which causes your phone locking (I do not know why).

The only thing I afraid of is this duration started from 1 minute and now it displays 6 minutes already. I hope I will not depend on urgent call when it asked me to wait for an hour.

thanks

Nov 16, 2016 10:04 AM in response to cathy fasano

I had the exact same thing happen to me only I got the call while I was running and used the headphones to answer the call. I never touched the phone (6s with iOS 10.0.2) so there was no possibility of accidentally entering an incorrect password. Curiously, I was using an exercise tracking program at the time and it continued to track my run while the phone was disabled. Definitely a software bug and not a user issue.

Nov 15, 2016 10:25 PM in response to cathy fasano

This just happened to me on a new iPhone 6 (a replacement for a phone with the black screen bug when making phone calls). At least, I hope it was a new phone. os 9.3.4. I was on the phone and briefly held it with my chin/shoulder so I could type while talking. Call ended. Phone said Phone is disabled. Try again in one minute. I was stunned, so I didn't wait a minute and was offered a keyboard and some sort of emergency thing. I ignored that, put the phone to sleep and waited for at least a minute to go by. Woke the phone and the screen was normal. This is really bad. We obviously aren't the only people having this experience, since most people don't report to Apple Support. I wish Apple would stop focusing on making things lighter, lighter, lighter (which I don't care about) and deleting features on their products and instead take a breath and make things just work. It concerns me that someone here said it happened on 10.0.2. That makes me think it might be a hardware issue. With a new phone. Wow.

iphone is disabled, try again in 1 minute

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.