Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No data connection when switch from wifi to 3G/LTE

Hi guys,

I'm using a iPhone6 with iOS8.1.1. If I walk out of a wifi environment while using the phone, I will lose data connection even though it connects to the local 3G/LTE networks. I can still receive calls/sms but no data. It will continue to stay this way unless I put it in airplane mode and out again to reestablish connections. I have done a Network Reset but problem still persist. Why is it not a seamless transfer between wifi/LTE networks?

Anyone has the same problem? Thanks for any help rendered. 😉

Posted on Dec 10, 2014 8:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2014 10:54 AM

Hello there, ihomme.

Great job troubleshooting your issue so far. The following Knowledge Base article provides a great checklist of steps to review for troubleshooting issues with connectivity on your iOS device:

iPhone cellular data connection issues - Apple Support

Follow these steps for help with cellular data issues on your iPhone. After performing each step, test to see if your iPhone still has the issue.

1. Toggle airplane mode: Tap Settings, turn airplane mode on, wait three seconds, and then turn off again.
  2. Restart your iPhone.
  3. Make sure that your software is up to date:
  4. Remove the SIM Card and reinsert it. Allow the iPhone to acquire the network again.
  5. If your SIM card has SIM PIN enabled, try turning it off: Tap Settings > Phone > SIM PIN.
  6. Try another location. If a different location works, but the original location still doesn't, contact your carrier to report the issue.
  7. Reset network settings: Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
    Resetting network settings on your device will erase all current saved settings, including Wi-Fi passwords, preferred networks, and VPN settings.
  8. Restore the iPhone as new.
  9. Contact your carrier to:
    • Verify that the iPhone is properly set up on the account with the appropriate, current data plan.
    • Verify that there are no account-related blocks.
    • Find out if there are specific error messages in the carrier logs that could help determine why the issue is occurring.

If none of the above steps resolves the issue, contact your carrier, make an appointment at an Apple Retail Store, or contact AppleCare.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2014 10:54 AM in response to ihomme

Hello there, ihomme.

Great job troubleshooting your issue so far. The following Knowledge Base article provides a great checklist of steps to review for troubleshooting issues with connectivity on your iOS device:

iPhone cellular data connection issues - Apple Support

Follow these steps for help with cellular data issues on your iPhone. After performing each step, test to see if your iPhone still has the issue.

1. Toggle airplane mode: Tap Settings, turn airplane mode on, wait three seconds, and then turn off again.
  2. Restart your iPhone.
  3. Make sure that your software is up to date:
  4. Remove the SIM Card and reinsert it. Allow the iPhone to acquire the network again.
  5. If your SIM card has SIM PIN enabled, try turning it off: Tap Settings > Phone > SIM PIN.
  6. Try another location. If a different location works, but the original location still doesn't, contact your carrier to report the issue.
  7. Reset network settings: Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
    Resetting network settings on your device will erase all current saved settings, including Wi-Fi passwords, preferred networks, and VPN settings.
  8. Restore the iPhone as new.
  9. Contact your carrier to:
    • Verify that the iPhone is properly set up on the account with the appropriate, current data plan.
    • Verify that there are no account-related blocks.
    • Find out if there are specific error messages in the carrier logs that could help determine why the issue is occurring.

If none of the above steps resolves the issue, contact your carrier, make an appointment at an Apple Retail Store, or contact AppleCare.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

Dec 12, 2014 6:47 PM in response to pedro d

Yes i need to put it in airplane mode and out every time to get my data connection back. Anyway I brought it back to Service Centre together with other problems and they did an exchange for me.

But after i did a restore, another problem appears....photos taken cannot be saved in Camera Roll! 😟 Guess I have to make another trip.

No data connection when switch from wifi to 3G/LTE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.