Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP! Duplicates! Duplicates! Duplicates!

After the latest update of iTunes, I have massive amounts of duplicate songs in my music library. Some songs were duplicated three or four times.

Understand, I have a huge music library. Imagine 10,000 songs duplicated and you begin to get the picture.

iTunes allows me to see the duplicates...but how the **** do I get rid of them, en masse? Because going through 20,000+ songs and hitting the delete key (and then they "yes! Throw it in the trash" key is going to be a Herculean labor.

There must be an easier and faster way. Please help!

Problem Free Macbook Black, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Oct 1, 2006 10:04 PM

9 replies

Oct 1, 2006 10:38 PM in response to JE13

You can manage duplicates using one of the free scripts available at Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes ( http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/ ). Look in the Managing Tracks category for scripts which deal with duplicates (such as Corral iTunes Dupes ).

I'm not associated with that site, but I've downloaded several vital scripts from there, so it's a highly recommended visit.

Oct 2, 2006 10:58 AM in response to Yer_Man

And, of course, Apple key - click will allow you to
select multiple listings at a time

And click on an item, then Shift-Click on an item
further down the list and automatically select every
item between.

Well, yes, but when I hit the "delete" key, I still get asked if I really want to move this to the trash. So I have to keep hitting keys. I really don't want to do this 10,000 times.

Oct 2, 2006 1:26 PM in response to JE13

But my question is: Why does the update make multiple song titles? When visiting my father-in-law recently, I updated iTunes on his PC to vers 7.01 and it did the same thing. Didn't anyone test the upgrade before they let it loose on the public? What a pain! Someone from Apple should visit each and every household where this happened and do the favor of deleting the duplicates. Did I mention...What a pain!

Dec 8, 2006 3:20 PM in response to flashboy131

Recently I had many thousands of dupes in a library of about 31,000 tracks, and was looking for a simple way to find them.

There is no simple way. Basically you are stuck doing this manually, which I did, and in fact it was a very worthwhile exercise as I found a lot of music I either didn't know I had and hadn't listen to in a while, or found music I would never listen to so trashed it.

BUT: try sorting on 'date added'- this might help. There really ARE lots of little things you can do. The 'Show Duplicates' feature is helpful, but can be mighty lame, so be careful; it only compares the song title, as far as I can tell.

You can also try making playlists of the first album instance, as I did, using an applescript from Doug, then use another applescript to show all tracks not on another playlist; show dupes on this, make more album playlists, and so on.

IF iTunes thinks there are dupes, but you know there is only one copy of the file on your drive, you can force iTunes to show the exclamation point by either editing a non-used field, or by selecting all the tracks, then holding the mouse down on the selection, just move the mouse a little bit one way or another. This forces iTunes to examine the tracks because it thinks you were going to try to copy them someplace. Once the '!' are in place you can easily find the dupes.

You could also use the Finder, and then re-imort, if you are truly desperate, or lazy [:-)].

Michael

G5 Dual 1.8, T-Book 667, ABook, iMacs, Nikon D70s Mac OS X (10.4.8)

HELP! Duplicates! Duplicates! Duplicates!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.