Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5s frozen during install of iOS 8.1.2 update

I have an iPhone 5s 16GB that has been installing the new iOS 8 update (8.1.2 I believe?). After being prompted to install the update, I agreed to the terms & conditions and hit "install." After seemingly flying through the first 9/10ths of the update, the progress bar under the Apple logo has not moved for a solid few hours now. I have not had this problem with previous updates. Is there any action that I should/can take without wiping everything from the phone?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 11, 2014 12:52 AM

10 replies

Dec 11, 2014 1:37 AM in response to ry.chan07

I'm afraid your data is gone. Once the download if the firmware onto the phone has started, the old data is wiped. If you updated via iTunes on the computer, there is a chance that iTunes backed up the phone before starting the update process.

If you are syncing to iCloud, your device is backed up at least once a day, if connected to Wi-Fi, USB adapter and in sleep mode.

Dec 11, 2014 2:06 AM in response to Ingo2711

Darn. Well that's rather disappointing. These updates seem to be a pretty consistent problem by the looks of it. I think I'm going to just bring this thing to the Genius Bar this afternoon and see if they can get it to work. This is really upsetting and an inconvenience at the least.
Anyhow, thanks for your help and time Ingo2711. It is much appreciated.

Dec 11, 2014 2:55 AM in response to ry.chan07

Can you please post the result of your visit to Genuis Bar if you will actually go there? What did they say, what is the reason, how to fix it? I have a simular problem with stucked progress of updating and then recovery loop. Common instructions did not help and there is no any reachable Genius Bar around.

I would be really grateful.

Dec 18, 2014 8:40 PM in response to artemsyd

For posterities sake, I had the same problem as originally described in this posting, except I was upgrading my iPhone 4s to iOS 8.1.2. After having the update status bar hang at >90% for ~30 minutes, I reset the phone (hold the on/off and home buttons down until the phone shuts off) and upon powering it back up it went back to the 'start update' screen and the subsequent retry of the 'update' completed with no issue in about 1 minute...

iPhone 5s frozen during install of iOS 8.1.2 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.