Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't use Text message forwarding on my iPad. Can you help me?

I can't use Text message forwarding on my iPad. Both my iphone and ipad are iOS8.1.2, have the same account, but when I turn on iPad on my iphone and prompts to insert the code shown on iPad, nothing happens. The code doesn't appear on the iPad.

Thanks

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 11, 2014 3:07 AM

11 replies

Dec 12, 2014 4:50 PM in response to Calmurdar

Settings>Messages>Send and Receive at>You can be reached by iMessages at. Your phone number should be checked as well as your Apple ID email address.

Actually, I assume that you do have this set up correctly, but ti can;'t hurt to check and I don't know what you are not seeing the code on the iPad. It appeared in the Messages app for me when I set it up. It had me stumped for about half an hour because I had no idea where it would be and the Appler support article was not very as to where you can find it.

Connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac using Continuity - Apple Support

To use Continuity for SMS and MMS with your iPhone and your Mac, iPad or iPod touch

• Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch need to use iOS 8.1, and your Mac needs to use OS X Yosemite.
  • Sign in to iMessage on your iPhone, your other iOS devices, and your Mac using the same Apple ID.
  • On your iPhone:
    1. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > You Can Be Reached By, and add a check to both your phone number and email address.
    2. Go to Messages > Text Message Forwarding, and enable the device(s) you would like to forward messages to.
  • Your Mac, iPad, or iPod touch will display a code. Enter this code on your iPhone to verify the SMS feature.

I will be damned if I can see anywhere in this blurb where the code should appear. I made the type bold in the last bullet point above. It was not showing up on my home screen IIRC.

Where is the code supposed to appear Apple????

Dec 14, 2014 5:53 AM in response to Calmurdar

My phone number is grayed out as well, BUT....there is a check mark next to it which indicates that it has been selected and it is being used. Dumb question....your iPhone number is associated with your Apple ID, correct? I assume it would have to be or you wouldn't even see it in the settings.

IF the phone number isn't selected, I would also assume that's the problem. The only way that I can think of to go back and be able to select it is to sign out of Messages and start all over again. I know that you see your phone number, but this is what I would try next.

iOS and OS X: Link your phone number and Apple ID for use with FaceTime and iMessage - Apple Support

Phone number missing on iPad or iPod touch

If your phone number isn't listed on an iPod touch or iPad, follow these steps:

1. Update to the latest version of iOS.
  2. Verify that you're using the same Apple ID that you're using on your iPhone.
  3. On your iPad or iPod touch, sign out of your Apple ID in the following locations:
    • Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
    • Settings > FaceTime. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
  4. Sign in to your Apple ID with FaceTime and iMessage.

If your phone number still isn't listed, follow these steps:

1. Sign out of your Apple ID on all iOS devices, including your iPhone, in the following locations:
    • Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
    • Settings > FaceTime. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
  2. Sign in to your Apple ID on your iPhone.
  3. When activation is complete, your Apple ID and all verified email addresses should be visible in Settings > Messages > Receive At and Settings > FaceTime.
  4. Sign in to your Apple ID on your other iOS devices.

Dec 14, 2014 6:23 AM in response to Demo

Man, thank you very much. I signed out from iPhone, and signed back in again, and the check mark appeared next to my phone number. And IT WORKED 😀, when I tapped text message forwarding and turned on iPad, the number appeared on the iPad like a notification, so it doesn't matter in what menu or app you are on the iPad. Thanks again.

I can't use Text message forwarding on my iPad. Can you help me?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.