Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple-page table starts on next page

When I include a Table which is more than one page long in my Pages document (version 5.5.1) it always starts on the next page. It does not matter how much space there is on the page. Even if there is only a single line on that page.

I included the table as "Inline with text". Can I force it to start on the same page or is is a general bug of the newes version of pages? It used to work last year with an earlier version of Pages.

Thanks for your help.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Pages v5.5.1

Posted on Dec 11, 2014 9:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2014 12:05 AM

Hi,

this drove me crazy. What works for me is this: instead of adding normal "returns" after the last paragraph or table, add a line break by pressing Shift and Return at the same time (i.e., as if you want to continue within a paragraph, but start a new line anyway). If you turn on menu point "View => Show Invisibles", then the result of a normal Return is the weird mirrored P character. After pressing Shift-Return, you will see an arrow pointing down and to the left.

Hope this helps

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2014 12:05 AM in response to thomas.k

Hi,

this drove me crazy. What works for me is this: instead of adding normal "returns" after the last paragraph or table, add a line break by pressing Shift and Return at the same time (i.e., as if you want to continue within a paragraph, but start a new line anyway). If you turn on menu point "View => Show Invisibles", then the result of a normal Return is the weird mirrored P character. After pressing Shift-Return, you will see an arrow pointing down and to the left.

Hope this helps

Aug 5, 2015 3:32 AM in response to thh_57

Hi thh,

Thanks for your reply about shift and return. That helped me.

Another idea that I heard of is to do with the table being automatically "linked" to previous or following text with the default settings (Prevent widow & orphan lines) in a new Pages 5 document:

User uploaded file

Untick (uncheck) that box.

To 'rescue' a document when a whole table flips to the next page, the advice I have seen in this forum is:

• Select the whole document (Menu > Edit > Select All) or command a;
  • Turn off (untick) Prevent widow & orphan lines;
  • Reset Prevent widow & orphan lines where you need that setting in other parts of the document.

Keep posting in the Pages for Mac Forum 🙂.

Regards,

Ian.

Multiple-page table starts on next page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.