Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgraded to Yosemite and my iWeb site has disappeared

I upgraded to Yosemite yesterday. When I click on iWeb there's nothing there. I have a full website that I'm was using with iWeb. Surely it's not just gone.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Dec 11, 2014 1:37 PM

12 replies

Dec 11, 2014 3:57 PM in response to Sondradl

I'd like to add a bit more info. I have gone to terminal and now see the hidden files. I have gone to application/support/iweb and put the domain file there. I have gone to preferences and deleted com.apple.web.plist. When I open iWeb it asks me to locate the domain file, I do and still, nothing shows up, no pages, and it doesn't give me options to do much, can't open a new page, new site, nothing.

Dec 12, 2014 10:03 AM in response to Sondradl

To open your domain file in Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks or to switch between multiple domain files Cyclosaurus has provided us with the following script that you can make into an Applescript application with Script Editor. Open Script Editor, copy and paste the script below into Script Editor's window and save as an application.

do shell script"/usr/bin/defaults write com.apple.iWeb iWebDefaultsDocumentPath -boolean no"

delay 1

tell application "iWeb" to activate

You can download an already compiled version with this link: iWeb Switch Domain.

Just launch the application, find and select the domain file in your Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder that you want to open and it will open with iWeb. It modifies the iWeb preference file each time it's launched so one can switch between domain files.

WARNING: iWeb Switch Domain will overwrite an existing Domain.sites2 file if you select to create a new domain in the same folder. So rename your domain files once they've been created to something other than the default name.

NOTE: In Lion and Mountain Lion the Home/Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible in Lion or Mt. Lion enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and press the Return key - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

For Mavericks, 10.9 , go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Dec 13, 2014 4:48 PM in response to Old Toad

Hi,

I created the application and ran it. It opens iWeb, but it is the same as before. Nothing shows up, no old website, I do not have the option to create a new page or new site. I have gone into Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb and put my domain file there. Still the same, iweb opens up, but nothing shows and it's unusable. I've clicked directly on my Domain.sites file, and again, it opens iWeb but nothing shows up and it's unusable. I've downloaded the iWeb Switch Domain program, and it is 'damaged and can't be opened'.

Any other suggestions?

Dec 13, 2014 4:57 PM in response to Sondradl

Ok, a bit more info. After I've run the application I made, I went in and deleted the com.apple.iweb.plist again. And this time when I open iWeb, it wants me to sign in to publish to .mac. When I click on 'sign in' it sends me to the system preferences pane, and I have no idea what it wants me to do from there. When I go back to the iweb program, it is the same as before, no old website, and no options to open a new page or new site.

Dec 13, 2014 5:06 PM in response to Sondradl

Ok, still working at this. So, I get rid of the .plist. I run the created application. It then asks me to choose a domain. I've gotten this far several times. If I put the domain into the applicationsupport/iweb folder, or if I just pull it off of the desk top, I still get the same response. iWeb opens, but I can't do anything with it, and there's no old website.

Dec 14, 2014 12:38 AM in response to Sondradl

iWeb 08 or version 2 is not compatible with Yosemite, so iWeb 06 or version 1 that you are running will be even less compatible.

As you have already found, you cannot upgrade online and you cannot download the full version of iWeb 09 or 3 and you never have been able to because this is the upgrade between versions of iWeb, so if you want to upgrade to iWeb 09, then you'll need to go to Amazon and purchase either the iLife 09 or iLife 11 boxed set DVD to be able to install this on your Mac. iWeb is has not been sold or supported by Apple for over 2 years now, so perhaps you should think about ditching iWeb and purchasing another programme that is still supported and works.

For iWeb alternatives, take a look at EverWeb - this is by Rage Software and is very like iWeb and easy to learn and has lots of extra features built in, such as drop down menus, SEO, PayPal integration, a contact form etc., and these are all built into the app.

Other alternatives to look at are RapidWeaver, Sandvox, Freeway Pro/Express 7, WebAcappella 4, Flux V and Macaw.

If you switch, you would have to re-build your site in one of these programmes, with the exception of Flux V, which has the ability to import your html files, but comes with a steep learning curve and you need to know a little html and css to use this.

Dec 14, 2014 1:55 PM in response to Sondradl

Thank you so much for your time, both of you!

I bought Everweb last night and started making the overhaul. Wish with all my heart I had waited till next year to upgrade to Yosemite, but such is life.

To anyone out there that's reading this for their own issues, I tried both Rapid Weaver and Sandvox, both were a real challenge for different reasons.

Everweb was absolutely the easiest transition to make and the easiest to use.

Merry Christmas!

Mar 4, 2015 2:35 PM in response to GalerB

will the new software write over the old iWeb bits?

Once you're ready to publish the new site files it would be best if you used a 3rd party FTP client like the free Cyberduck to access your hosting account and manually delete the iWeb site folder and it's index.html file. Then publish the new site files to the same account location with the new application.

Upgraded to Yosemite and my iWeb site has disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.