Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.fcpcache.tmp couldn't be removed

To anyone who can help, I have an existing project on an external drive I want to open it, but every time I do a window comes up saying "set storage locations for the library" followed by three options on where to put your media, cachet, and backups. I press okay, but every time I do another window pops up saying .fcpcache.tmp couldn't be removed does anyone know what this means or what I can do about it?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 11, 2014 3:52 PM

10 replies

Aug 27, 2015 8:01 AM in response to Alchroma

Thanks Al for your response. Am bit of a dummy when it comes to tech speak. The external drive is Lacie 2TB formatted to Mac. Has stored on it video transferred from the iMac. It worked perfectly before the FCP automatic upgrade to 10.2.1.

Files downlaoded from the iMac were from a Sony Handicam HDR SR12.

I also have a Lacie 4TB which has automatically upgraded content to FCP.

Dec 28, 2015 10:35 AM in response to micro593

I had this exact same problem and have solved it in a rather strange way, so I'm not sure if it will work for others. Here's my solution though.

1. Create a brand new library in final cut pro. (open final cut pro, file, new library). Let's call this library "Fresh Library"

2. Find the new library in finder. (In final cut pro, right click on "Fresh Library", press "reveal in finder")

3. In finder, right click on the "Fresh Library" and press "show package contents"

4. Delete all files within "fresh library"

5. Keep this window open

5. Go to the library you were originally trying to open, right click on it, press "show package contents"

6. Highlight all files within the library you were originally trying to open and drag them into the window of "Fresh Library" from which you just deleted files.

7. Restart FCP

Hopefully that works for you too.

hit me up with questions

Mar 21, 2016 2:26 PM in response to micro593

I battled this problem for a user today, and found a solution that may work for others.

Our scenario was:

FCPX (10.2.3) libraries were stored on an external drive, and backed up with Time Machine to another external drive.

The video drive failed. We purchased a new drive and wanted to use it as the Time Machine drive, as it was now the largest drive.

We copied the TM backup to the new drive via the Finder.

We formatted the old TM drive to use as the new video drive, and copied the backup files to it via the Finder.

After doing this, we got the ".fcpcache.tmp couldn't be removed" error message for almost all FCPX libraries on the drive.

Restoring the folder that contained the libraries via the TM interface instead of via the Finder made most of the libraries work again, but not all.

Ownership settings looked correct for these files, but they couldn't be renamed or deleted without entering an administrator password, and they couldn't be moved from their locations, only copied.

Our method of moving the TM backups and files around via the Finder may have contributed to the problem, but I've seen reports of people having this issue when using TM in the typical way.

Here is the fix that worked for us:

Download BatChmod from https://www.lagentesoft.com/batchmod/.

Open one of the affected files in BatChmod.

Uncheck "Change ownership and privileges". (I did this because ownership looked correct and I wanted to limit was I was changing, both to help identify the problem/solution and to avoid accidentally messing anything up. Leaving it checked would probably be fine.)

Check "Clear ACLs".

Click Apply.

After clearing the ACLs, the files would open in Final Cut Pro X without complaint, and renaming/deleting/moving worked correctly in the Finder as well.

Somehow the ACLs on these files were causing problems after being restored from the Time Machine backup, and removing them got rid of the problems. This can also be accomplished via the Terminal, but I prefer to work with GUI utilities when possible.

Hope this can help others with this issue!

.fcpcache.tmp couldn't be removed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.