Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An unknown error occurred 56

Hi,

I was try update my Ipad Air 2 from IOS 8.1.1 to IOS 8.1.2, for some reason it stop middle of updating process. Then the ipad display connect to iTunes screen. Now I try to restore/update the ipad with iTunes, but at the end process iTunes always show "An unknown error occurred (56)", ipad screen stuck at progress bar screen. Tried with different computers, usb ports, firewall disable, anti virus application disable still no luck. Chat with support, he recommend bring to nearest authorized store which is 200KM away. Now the ipad is completely unusable. Does anyone facing same problem?

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 11, 2014 4:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2015 4:02 AM

same problem too. this issue is still not fix. i have iPhone 6 and now still not working "stuck in recovery mode" cause of "unknown error occurred 56" can't update, can't restore. any news about your iPad? it's fixed?

12 replies

Mar 13, 2015 9:35 PM in response to kokyu

Hi. Just turn off or disable your firewalls and 3rd party antivirus software, connect the usb cable to the back of the PC if it's desktop. DO NOT use the usb hub with connecting. Try to recover iPad by DFU mode, details as below:

1)Run iTunes on your PC or Mac.

2)Keep Holding Power Button for 5s and continue to hold Home button together for 10s.

3)Release Holding power button but still keep holding the home button about 15s.

4) iTunes will show "detected a device by recovery mode"

5) Click to Restore.

Regards,

Anson

Mar 16, 2015 10:52 PM in response to tuỳengfd

So, do like this. I found the way.
1. Remove the SIM card from the phone
2. Download on your computer software 8.1.3 for the I phone 6 ***** No any other as of yesterday Apple allows only 8.1.3 or 8.2 .
3.Plug cable in to your phone.Keep pressed together power and home button to come in to recovery mode. As soon apple sign goes off, depress power button but keep pressed home button for another 10 secs
4.I tunes will start and make a note that you are in recovery mode proposing to recover your phone
5.Press SHIFT on your comp keyboard and press with the mouse in Itunes to recover. Window will open asking which ipws file to use.
6.Browse your comp and select downloaded file as per above - 8.1.3
7.I phone will make restore to IOS 8.1.3 that works well.
8.After software installation, set up your phone as a new Iphone.
9.That it is.Insert SIM card when it request you to do so.
10.Voila. Up and running.
11. If yo uwant to use backup from your old i.e. Iphone 4, 4s or else can do backup recovery in Itunes but when it ask you to do software upgrade - DON'T. Click - LATER !

<Link Edited by Host>

Dec 16, 2016 10:05 PM in response to kokyu

Yup this fall 2016 my 1.5 year old IPad air wanted me to do an OS update so I agreed, and now have a bricked paper weight. I took it to the genius bar and they did all they could and said yup its bricked, sorry its out of the year warrantee... I was offered nothing else, so guess what I bought a surface, and its great, even lasted the latest update.

This is my 3rd Apple product. My first was a late model 2013 pro macbook pro, it was and still is a flawless workhorse. My second was a fully blown Desktop Mac Pro that was constantly in the shop because the video cards kept failing. I sold it after its 3rd visit to the g-bar. So 2 outa 3 failing I am over it.

An unknown error occurred 56

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.